Posted to users@flex.apache.org by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr> on 2020/03/03 18:49:44 UTC

Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

It looks like there is an issue with the latest AIR version, after they
updated the geometry APIs.

I am trying to run some projects and i get the following errors:

param count mismatch
virt params=2 optional=1 flash.geom::Transform/getRelativeMatrix3D()
over params=1 optional=0 flash.geom::Transform/getRelativeMatrix3D()
VerifyError: Error #1053: Illegal override of Transform in
mx.geom.Transform.

at
spark.primitives.supportClasses::GraphicElement/validateProperties()[D:\flex_sdk\Sources\flex-sdk\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\primitives\supportClasses\GraphicElement.as:3546]
at
spark.components::Group/validateProperties()[D:\flex_sdk\Sources\flex-sdk\frameworks\projects\spark\src\spark\components\Group.as:938]
at
mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateProperties()[D:\flex_sdk\Sources\flex-sdk\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:601]
at
mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[D:\flex_sdk\Sources\flex-sdk\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:787]
at
mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiationCallback()[D:\flex_sdk\Sources\flex-sdk\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:1191]

Any ideas?

Re: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
That sounds like there might be a few of these. Any classes that extend the
native ones inside mx.geom will likely need attention for the affected
overridden methods.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
If you don't need the new APIs in 33.1 and are just looking for the runtime improvements, you can set the -swf-version and maybe -target-player to a lower number.  (AIR 32 is swf-version 43, not sure what 33 and 33.1 are using)

HTH,
-Alex

On 3/3/20, 11:10 AM, "Greg Dove" <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    sorry, that should have been:

    It sounds like an extra optonal parameter was added to

    flash.geom.Transform.getRelativeMatrix3D

    You could try monkey patching

    mx.geom.Transform

    by adding the source package for that to your local project, and then look
    at the overridden method for 'getRelativeMatrix3D' and add the second
    missing parameter for the latest version of that method

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.
sorry, that should have been:

Posted by Greg Dove <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by agm65 <ag...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

did you find a solution? Same issued here..

RE: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by agm65 <ag...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

yes please update the Flex version to run with the new AIR SDK 33.1. We need
64 Bit support in our apps. Is it also possible to fix the Flex SDK
installer that we can download an nightly build with that fix?

KR

RE: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
To me it looks like the best option would be updating Flex SDK to 4.16.2 and
implementing the new changes. However, as this might take a while, Andrew's
idea of using different function names, looks like the most feasible option
right now.

Re: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
There is a free tier for v33. Although 32 is more or less stable, it doesnt
support Android, in less than a month it wont support iOS, it doesnt support
Mac so it is pretty much outdated.

Re: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by Hans Nuecke <hn...@vservu.de>.
I do: You have to pay for the new version if I want to publish it as
captive runtime version.
That's why I test with v33, but use v32 for the final delivery.

I still love Air and Flex. It is a perfect solution for my desktop based
product (Windows and maOS).

But I feel more and more uncomfortable and might start a new development
soon; based on an actual mainstream  framework. Which for me
(unfortunately) isn't Royale neither ;-(

For the browser based part of my product we already made the switch to
JavaScript (hic!) and vue. So it might be a good advice to leave the
sinking AIR/Flex ship in time?!

I really appreciate all your work, but at the end I need a secure and
comfortable base that takes me through the coming 10 years... And emails
like these ones don't give me the level of comfort I'm seeking...

Just my 2 cts.

Regards

Hans

Posted by Erik Thomas <er...@icloud.com.INVALID>.

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
Do we really need Flex to work with older AIR SDK versions?

- Web distribution is not relevant any more and it will be EOLed in a few
months.
- Android needs AIR33 or higher (to support Android 64bit restriction).
- iOS currently needs AIR32 or higher (this will change soon as in April
2020 Apple will force iOS 13 sdk so I guess this will be bumped to AIR33 as
well).
- Mac,if not mistaken, needs AIR33 to work in the latest os version
(catalina).
- Windows is the only thing not affected.

So with all the above, I dont see a reason to keep Flex working with old AIR
versions. This is my experience so I might miss something that makes it
crucial to keep Flex working with the old versions (right now you can even
download AIR3.7 from Flex installer).

RE: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi,

I didn't follow the entire discussion, but I'd like to mention that I am not
sure if we still have enough volunteers which are willing to work on a new
Flex release.

That said, I think it would be nice if any AIR updates would be compatible
with the latest Flex SDK... as long as it's possible.

Thanks,
Olaf

Re: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
FWIW, there used to be (not sure now), a fair number of folks who for some reason could not upgrade to the latest version of Flash/AIR.

The APIs in Flash/AIR apparently have historically only changed by adding new methods to classes, not by changing the parameter list.  There is still a risk that a newly added API will cause a problem to an existing app, but I believe that Harman is doing the right thing by refactoring to not change the parameter list and add a new method.

Then the Flex SDK will work for a wider range of versions just in case someone is still out there wanting an older one.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

On 3/10/20, 4:34 AM, "Piotr Zarzycki" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Leo,

    There is nothing more than showing proper documentation to anyone who
    wanted to release sdk - however only as far as I know committers can
    finalize release process. Fix can submit anyone by pull request. Do that
    and I bet someone take care of the rest of the process - even if it takes
    more time.

    Thanks,
    Piotr

    --

    Piotr Zarzycki

    Patreon: *https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.patreon.com%2Fpiotrzarzycki&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C65959989d39e4c10c12e08d7c4e70ed0%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637194368975848136&amp;sdata=NdLsrJ1UtlVrDBS6nd8378peXnaZAMDGgkU8MK3p2PQ%3D&amp;reserved=0
    <https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.patreon.com%2Fpiotrzarzycki&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C65959989d39e4c10c12e08d7c4e70ed0%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637194368975857135&amp;sdata=aQms3ejjSDxV4hhgtD572Lattomi8L%2BBxDgS3KQGxj4%3D&amp;reserved=0>*

Re: Flex 4.16.1 broken for AIR33.1?

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Leo,

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
Going back on topic, how easy would be for current volunteers to show how to

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
I think Flex libs (mx.geom.Transform) should be updated to work with the
latest versions of AIR. From the mobile perspective, it doesn't make much
sense to support older ones as you can't publish apps if you are lower than
AIR 32 for iOS or AIR 33 for Android.

I am not sure if there is any similar issue for desktops and web.