Posted to dev@htrace.apache.org by "Young, Philip" <pt...@tycho.ncsc.mil> on 2015/06/04 21:04:34 UTC

Accumulo SpanReceiver and related questions

Hi All,

I have only just started using Apache Htrace (so bear with me) in one of
my projects and I would like to send all the traces that are created to
an Apache Accumulo to store, similar to how the HBaseSpanReceiver
currently does it. I have developed an initial version of an
AccumuloSpanReceiver and as such, I have a few questions:

      1. How do I contribute my new AccumuloSpanReceiver back into the
HTrace codebase? Is this by
          creating a Jira ticket and attaching a patch to it or would
you rather a pull request in Github?

      2. I see that there is currently a couple of different GUI's for
the display of traces, eg. one in
          htrace-hbase and another in htrace-htraced. Is there going to
be some consolidation for the GUIs
          for the visualisation of traces with plugins for connecting to
different data stores, eg. HBase,
          Accumulo, htraced, etc. or is it up to each sub-module to
provide their own GUI implementation?

          In the interim, do you think that it would be a good approach
for me to adapt the HBase GUI to
          also be able to display traces that are stored in Accumulo? If
I was to do this, I think that pulling the
          webapp out of the htrace-hbase module into something like
htrace-webapp would be better along with
          all the protobuf code into there also?

If I could get some advice before I get to far into this would be fantastic!

Cheers
Phil Young