Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2007/08/27 17:28:39 UTC

Commit Access

Could I be given commit access to framework/webtools please? I'd like to continue working on the UI
in that component.

-Adrian

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Ean,

De : "Ean Schuessler" <ea...@brainfood.com>

> On Monday 10 September 2007 03:40:59 pm David E Jones wrote:
> > This seems different from what you described above with the Linux kernel...
> > but I'm interested to hear more of how you think that would work
> > independent of what is going on with OFBiz and OFBiz derivatives right now.
> >
> > The way I look at it is that the open source project really has one
> > purpose: it allows different groups to collaborate and do things together
> > that would be too difficult and expensive any group to really do on their
> > own.
> >
> > Hotwax is becoming one of the larger OFBiz-based consultancies (though
> > certainly not even close to the biggest), but even Hotwax is WAY too small
> > to handle something the size and scope of OFBiz... like probably at least
> > 10 to 1 and perhaps a 100 to 1 level of magnitude difference.
> >
> > The ASF repository is definitely not meant to be Hotwax only, and I don't
> > see it as that at all. In fact, it worries me a LOT to see anyone say
> > something like that. I don't think it's even close to true either... the
> > traffic in the mailing lists, issue tracker AND the SVN repository all tell
> > a very different story!
> >
> > IMO it's totally fine and normal for there to be local repos that groups
> > maintain for their projects.
> >
> > Whatever is done and however it's done the trick is how do you work with
> > others? If you don't have processes and practices to participate in a group
> > effort, then you're really not participating in the group...
> >
> > OFBiz could greatly benefit from more contributors and committers, and from
> > experience with this type of software it is difficult for enthusiasts and
> > hobbyists to participate part-time, so the people doing stuff full-time
> > based on OFBiz are the most valuable to the project... and by participating
> > in the project open the door to receive benefits that just aren't possible
> > any other way! Collaboration really is the WHOLE point of an open source
> > project, or to put it in ASF terms: communication is the key!
>
> I may be overstating matters and its certainly a matter of perception. I
> suppose I may just be grumpy because no one paid any attention to my
> ProductRole patch (OFBIZ-1177).

Now everybody is aware of it ;o)

Jacques

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Thank you Jacopo!

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Adrian,

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The PMC vote for this is underway...

-David

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@brainfood.com

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
> I may be overstating matters and its certainly a matter of perception. I
> suppose I may just be grumpy because no one paid any attention to my
> ProductRole patch (OFBIZ-1177).

We have rolled out our own similar implementation and think it is common
requirement for products such as books magazines. it will be a good
inclusion.

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Ean Schuessler wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 September 2007 06:23:36 pm David E Jones wrote:
>> Now who's being defensive? ;) And what I wrote wasn't even a reply to your
>> email...
>>
>> Whatever the case, I stated the lie and then said it was such, I wasn't
>> quoting from anyone, though I think the reply was to Jonathon and we have a
>> nice long history and being harsh with each other (again ;) ). It's great
>> to have you around Jonathon, you bring up lots of good issues in these
>> little high level threads.
>>
>> There is some good stuff in what you're saying Ean, and I totally agree
>> that different people and organizations will find different ways of
>> collaborating with the community that works best for them. I'm just trying
>> to describe and encourage (like in the contributors best practices page)
>> the ones that seem to result in the most contributions coming into the
>> project AND the most benefit and feedback going back to the contributor.
>>
>> My perception is definitely limited though, and I know it very well, so for
>> whatever anyone is doing if it's working well for you then there's no
>> reason to change. If it's not working so well then I invite people to take
>> a look at stuff that will help them, but that may not seem so obvious, and
>> may in fact seem like a waste of time, and that is trying to get as much as
>> possible into the open source project and collaborating with others in the
>> community as you do so (well, that's the short/simple version, more verbose
>> in the contributors best practices page).
>
> You know perfectly well that I can't resist toying with something as
> incindiary as the phrase "a vicious damaging lie".  After all, Debian is my
> alma mater. TINC!

:)

-David

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
About GIT and other alike tools : I just want to remind people interested about legal issues when it comes to merge with Apache
trunk (yes it's not HotWax trunk, but I'm sure nobody overlooked that ;o). We had already some discussion last year. This link may
help http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?local=y&forum=2740&query=%22joint+work%22. And I can provide you some more if you
want...

Maybe this  discussion is not closed ?

Jacques

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
 > Whatever the case, I stated the lie and then said it was such, I wasn't
 > quoting from anyone, though I think the reply was to Jonathon and we
 > have a nice long history and being harsh with each other (again ;) ).

Discussions! Those were discussions! We need brutally honest discussions. That, or we can dance
around in misunderstanding for years. I like drawing bee-lines towards absolutely clear
understanding (even if it means being stung big time), but that's just me.

 > It's great to have you around Jonathon, you bring up lots of good issues
 > in these little high level threads.

:) Not so great to have me around when I'm being slave-driven by a difficult employer, with no
room to stretch my legs and creativity.

Very OT here. Seems money and pride motives are strong divisive factors. We need more love going
around in the world. :) I'll stop short of discussing religion here.

Perhaps some day, none of us will need to work for a living. I believe that may drastically raise
productivity (and love)?

Jonathon

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Ean Schuessler wrote:
> [...]

Now who's being defensive? ;) And what I wrote wasn't even a reply to your email...

Whatever the case, I stated the lie and then said it was such, I wasn't quoting from anyone, though I think the reply was to Jonathon and we have a nice long history and being harsh with each other (again ;) ). It's great to have you around Jonathon, you bring up lots of good issues in these little high level threads.

There is some good stuff in what you're saying Ean, and I totally agree that different people and organizations will find different ways of collaborating with the community that works best for them. I'm just trying to describe and encourage (like in the contributors best practices page) the ones that seem to result in the most contributions coming into the project AND the most benefit and feedback going back to the contributor.

My perception is definitely limited though, and I know it very well, so for whatever anyone is doing if it's working well for you then there's no reason to change. If it's not working so well then I invite people to take a look at stuff that will help them, but that may not seem so obvious, and may in fact seem like a waste of time, and that is trying to get as much as possible into the open source project and collaborating with others in the community as you do so (well, that's the short/simple version, more verbose in the contributors best practices page).

-David

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
David,

Sorry for the wrong attribution of OFBiz's management responsibility. The name "Undersun" just
stuck. I thought that's the "go-to guy" for OFBiz! In fact, I do watch you (or Undersun or Hotwax)
for directions in matters that might impact our "business viability with OFBiz". I still
unconsciously lump every contributor to you and company. Wrong, yes. Just convenient to refer to a
single entity, or just being lazy. Sorry. :P

I agree with the add-in components. But I encounter problems trying to make my individual projects
lean like add-in components. Quite a bit of the non-framework aspects of OFBiz are not generic
enough to render tweaks unnecessary, and those non-framework aspects are built into OFBiz like
they are core. OFBiz already has many mechanisms for "extensions coding (overriding, overloading,
etc)", to cleanly create add-in components, but some areas may still need to be developed further.
But I digress.

The forks and best-of-breeds strategy is for competition between implementations of complex core
functions. Often, it's hard to see in foresight what is the best way to go about a complex
function. The best way is to take a measured charge forward with SVN, and use cheaper hindsight to
guide us. Either that, or we get stuck with multiple camps arguing for opposing directions. The
typical "deep-thought-related team paralysis".

That said, the fact that "competition" is needed to hunt down the best of breed implementation
will bring in a whole suite of human problems. We've seen many fiefdoms in the open source arena
that simply don't match or merge. Few humans can lay down personal pride for greater good (so pat
yourselves on back, those of you who contribute to OFBiz!).

 > So no, this would never work. There is no central organization to
 > pull stuff into the project, just users to push stuff into the
 > project.  That's the WHOLE point of a community driven project that
 > facilitates collaboration.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It would never work. The only platform where it'll work is with
private... erm... users, who do "pull best of breed stuff" into their private SVNs. Hindsight can
bring a lot of insight.

Anyway, I think I have beaten this "SVN tricks and acrobatics" topic to death before. I'm either
an undiscovered genius, or I'm doing something terribly wrong with SVN and such! Heh. Probably the
latter, since I'm still undiscovered.

Jonathon

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David E Jones wrote:

>> Then David or Undersun could oversee all the official branches, and
>> pick up best of breed ideas to be merged back into main OFBiz SVN.
>> Yes, they'll need more hires for this, possibly. And they are busy
>> enough already. Note that without this step, each fork will simply do
>> their own dances and end up duplicating each others' functionalities
>> over time. Wasteful.
>
> Ummm... not sure where this idea came from...
>
> Neither "David" nor "Undersun" (now part of Hotwax Media) nor any other
> person or organization are some central source of resources or driving
> force for the project. OFBiz is overseen by a PMC (project management
> committee) but everything that goes into OFBiz is contributed by users.

And the members of the PMC and the committers of the OFBiz project are
clearly listed here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/PMC+members+and+Committers

As you all can see, the core group is composed by persons from very
different countries (from all over the world) and different companies,
and also by private contributors.

Jacopo

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Ean,

[...]

Nothing more than simple party tricks with SVN, really. But it all goes a long way to managing and
maintaining disparate projects.

Jonathon

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Ean,

Thank you for the explanation.

Where I work there would be no need to create/maintain a separate fork. I have a few enhancements to
OFBiz that I maintain for my employer - I'm not the type of developer who would create a cottage
business based on OFBiz.

I was given commit priviledge to the applications folder with the understanding that I could use
that priviledge to continue enhancing the OFBiz UI. Problem is, some of the UI stuff is in the
framework folder - that's why I asked for additional commit priviledges.

-Adrian

Re: Commit Access

Posted by Ean Schuessler <ea...@brainfood.com>.

Re: Commit Access