Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Raquel <ra...@thericehouse.net> on 2007/09/24 21:44:47 UTC

Converting to MySQL

On a new server I'm running Debian Etch, Sendmail and SpamAssassin,
hosting email for a few accounts.  I'm contemplating converting my
SpamAssassin to using MySQL.  Is there a "HOWTO" somewhere which
would be good to follow?

--
Raquel
Racism is a learned affliction and anything that is learned can be

Re: Converting to MySQL

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
Raquel,

2007/9/24, Raquel <ra...@thericehouse.net>:
> On a new server I'm running Debian Etch, Sendmail and SpamAssassin,
> hosting email for a few accounts.  I'm contemplating converting my
> SpamAssassin to using MySQL.  Is there a "HOWTO" somewhere which
> would be good to follow?
>
> --
> Raquel
> Racism is a learned affliction and anything that is learned can be
> unlearned.
>   --Jane Elliott

You could try MrC's Howto:
http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/debian-spamassassin-sql.html

Peace,

Luis

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...
Linux Registered User #448382.
When I grow up, I wanna be like Theo...

Re: Converting to MySQL

Posted by Raquel <ra...@thericehouse.net>.
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:44:47 -0700
Raquel <ra...@thericehouse.net> wrote:

> On a new server I'm running Debian Etch, Sendmail and
> SpamAssassin, hosting email for a few accounts.  I'm contemplating
> converting my SpamAssassin to using MySQL.  Is there a "HOWTO"
> somewhere which would be good to follow?
>
> --
> Raquel

Thank you to Ed Kasky and to Luis Hernán Otegui for your responses
to my question.  I have it all converted over to using MySQL now and
it seems to be working quite well in a site-wide configuration.

--
Raquel
Teach me to feel another's woe, To hide the fault I see, That mercy

Re: Converting to MySQL

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 12:44 PM Monday, 9/24/2007, you wrote -=>
>On a new server I'm running Debian Etch, Sendmail and SpamAssassin,
>hosting email for a few accounts.  I'm contemplating converting my
>SpamAssassin to using MySQL.  Is there a "HOWTO" somewhere which
>would be good to follow?

To set up the MySQL db:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.2/sql/README

and then from
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BetterDocumentation/SqlReadmeBayes?highlight=%28mysql%29

Converting Bayes Data From a DBM Database

Converting your bayes database data from Berkeley (DBM) based storage
to SQL based storage is as simple as a backup and then restore.

If you are upgrading from a previous version of SpamAssassin you
should first follow any recommended upgrade instructions for that
release, in most cases this will be as simple as running an
sa-learn --sync

Once you have performed this upgrade, for each bayes database follow
this procedure:

o Run 'sa-learn --backup > backup.txt' which will backup your bayes
   data into a text file.
o Optionally you can run 'sa-learn --clear' to remove the DBM based
   bayes files.
o Modify your local.cf file according to the directions above.
o Run 'sa-learn --spam <sample spam message>' to initialize the
   database.
o Run 'sa-learn --restore backup.txt' to restore your bayes data to
   the SQL database.

NOTE: sa-learn must be run as the user who's data you are loading, or
       you must make use of the bayes_sql_override_username config
       option.

NOTE: failure to use 'sa-learn --spam <msg>' on an initial spam message
       will result in the error message
       "bayes: unable to initialize database for <username> user, aborting!"

I suggest you read all the docs before proceeding.  I did the same
upgrade a while back and had no problems...

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (446 of 568):
Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of
compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature
and its beauty.  - Albert Einstein