Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <We...@asu.edu> on 2002/05/30 01:42:39 UTC

DBTags for multi-value databases?

DBTags looks great, but I don't have a JDBC driver for my multi-valued
database. (UniData, now an IBM product.)  What I do have is the UniObjects
API, which lets me connect to the database using Java.

I've used open source software, but haven't usually even looked at the
source code.  So, how does this work?  Basically I want to take advantage of
the work already done on DBTags, but change the code so that, for example,
instead of a Connection object, it uses a UniSession.  Is that okay to do?
(How "open" is open source?)

--
Wendy

Re: DBTags for multi-value databases?

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Wed, 29 May 2002, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> DBTags looks great, but I don't have a JDBC driver for my multi-valued
> database. (UniData, now an IBM product.)  What I do have is the
> UniObjects API, which lets me connect to the database using Java.
>
> I've used open source software, but haven't usually even looked at the
> source code.  So, how does this work?  Basically I want to take
> advantage of the work already done on DBTags, but change the code so
> that, for example, instead of a Connection object, it uses a
> UniSession.  Is that okay to do? (How "open" is open source?)

You're more than welcome to download the source and modify it as you see
fit; you can even package up and sell the modifications if you'd like!
(Such redistribution would be subject to the provisions in the Apache
license, which you can download at http://www.apache.org/LICENSE.txt.

In general, you're encouraged to contribute modifications back to the
group.  Committers (those who are engaged in the project enough to be
entrusted with "commit" access to the CVS archives) can evaluate and merge
in the changes, as appropriate.  To be honest, I don't think there's all
that much need for non-JDBC support for UniData databases in DBTags, or
even the extent to which such support is possible -- so I don't think
there'd be a groundswell of support for adding the feature in the standard
DBTags.  (There certainly wouldn't in JSTL, which contains the database
tags currently being actively developed; DBTags is no longer under active
development.)

One more thing about JSTL:  since it depends less on exposing publicly the
JDBC interfaces that it uses behind the scenes than does DBTags, you might
find it easier to integrate support for database that don't have JDBC
drivers into JSTL than into DBTags.  In fact, JSTL provides a standard
interface that stores, in JavaBean-accessible fashion, a ResultSet; you
could write an adapter for UniData's result set to JSTL's "Result"
interface, which would take advantage of the standard mechanism.

Hope that information helps.

--
Shawn Bayern
"JSP Standard Tag Library"   http://www.jstlbook.com