Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Diona Kidd <dk...@modernflow.com> on 2006/02/10 19:45:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Hosts on 127.0.0.*

Hi all,

This may not be an Apache issue but it's related. Perhaps someone here has
some input.

I'm trying to set up virtual hosts on 127.0.0.* so I can use a front
instance of apache for SSL negotiations and proxy back to the
heavy-lifting, mod_perl apache when necessary. For security reasons, I was
thinking that if I put the second apache on 127.0.0.* then the request
would not go out and back in.

Apache runs fine on an external address and my config (for internal
127.0.0.*) looks like so:

Listen 127.0.0.10:80
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.10

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.10>
(normal vhost stuff here)
</VirtualHost>

When I start Apache, I get the error:

(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
127.0.0.10:80
Unable to open logs

What am I missing? I'm running Debian 3.1, no iptable rules configured, no
firewall. Does anyone else have a setup like this?

Thanks in advance,

Diona Kidd

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts on 127.0.0.*

Posted by Diona Kidd <dk...@modernflow.com>.
Beautiful and simple! Worked like a charm. ;)

Thanks Joshua...

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 2/10/06, Diona Kidd <dk...@modernflow.com> wrote:
>>
>> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
>> 127.0.0.10:80
>> no listening sockets available, shutting down
>> Unable to open logs
>>
>> What am I missing? I'm running Debian 3.1, no iptable rules configured,
>> no
>> firewall. Does anyone else have a setup like this?
>
> Check your front-end instance of apache.  It probably has something like
> Listen 80
> Listen 443
>
> These will grab all IP addresses on the machine, including the
> loopback.  Change those to grab only the external addresses.
>
> Joshua.

Modern Flow Technology Solutions
http://www.modernflow.com
Office: 704.347.2886
dkidd@modernflow.com

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts on 127.0.0.*

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 2/10/06, Diona Kidd <dk...@modernflow.com> wrote:
>
>>(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
>>127.0.0.10:80
>>no listening sockets available, shutting down
>>Unable to open logs
>>
>>What am I missing? I'm running Debian 3.1, no iptable rules configured, no
>>firewall. Does anyone else have a setup like this?

> Check your front-end instance of apache.  It probably has something like
> Listen 80
> Listen 443
>
> These will grab all IP addresses on the machine, including the
> loopback.  Change those to grab only the external addresses.

FYI, for Win32 XP SP2 users, there is a hotfix from Microsoft if you are trying
to using 127.0.0.2 - 127.255.255.255 - because Microsoft had the silly idea
that loopback addresses other than 127.0.0.1 were bad, and they broke this
rather standard behavior in that service pack.

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts on 127.0.0.*

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.