Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Pascal Maugeri <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/05 14:36:32 UTC

Inserting an XML element into an XML doc, issue with default namespace

Hi

I've wrote the following helper method to create or replace an XML element
into an XML document (this may help others).

I notice that I must specify the default namespace into my XML element (elt
parameter below), otherwise when the element is inserted xmlbeans add a
default one with no value ?! If I add an XML element <rule> into a <ruleset>
document, I get:

<ruleset xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:common-policy">
    <rule id="rule_1253695448_0" *xmlns=""*>
    [...]
    </rule>
</ruleset>

... and of course it does not validate against the schema.

What should I do in order to remove this value ? Or what should I do to
automatically set a default namespace to elt if it has none ?

Here's the code of my method, making use of XmlCursor.copyXml():

    public static void createReplaceElement(XmlObject doc, String namespace,
XmlObject elt, String xpathQuery) {

        int index;
        // Create a cursor and move it to the position defined by XPath
query
        XmlCursor docCursor = doc.newCursor();
        String query = "declare default element namespace '" + namespace +
"';" + xpathQuery;
        docCursor.selectPath(query);

        // If element already exists, delete it first (Replace case)
        if (docCursor.toNextSelection()) {
            docCursor.removeXml();
            // keep the cursor to insert the new element in the same place.
        }

        // Create case (element does not already exist)
        else {
            System.out.println("XmlBeansHelper: Element doesn't exist yet");
             index = xpathQuery.lastIndexOf("/");
            if (index != -1) {
                String q = xpathQuery.substring(0, index);
                query ="declare default element namespace '" + namespace +
"';" + q;
                docCursor.selectPath(query);
                if (docCursor.toNextSelection()) {
                    if (!docCursor.toFirstChild())
                        docCursor.toEndToken();
                }
                else
                    return;
            }
        }

        // Element cursor
        XmlCursor eltCursor = elt.newCursor();
        if (eltCursor.currentTokenType().isStartdoc())
            eltCursor.toNextToken();

        eltCursor.copyXml(docCursor);

        docCursor.dispose();
        eltCursor.dispose();