Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/12 16:37:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] tp31 - slightly more than just bug fixes?

As it stands we're setup to potentially have a 3.1.5 release of TinkerPop.
Pretty crazy. We'd agreed on a separate thread that we would only look to
push only bug fixes to tp31, but then Kuppitz made a point on this issue
moments ago:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-1432

basically - we have something that's isn't a "bug" that only went to
master. i'm fine with that logic i think in this case, however, generally
speaking (maybe not the specific case of TINKERPOP-1432) I don't think it's
a good idea to let the build processes and build documentation among all of
our branches drift too far apart. As someone who has played the release
manager for many versions now, I think I would find it annoying and
error-prone to have different behaviors in the build of the two (or more)
branches I'm doing a release on.

For example, I planned to remove appveyor/windows build stuff this morning
and it immediately occurred to me to do the work in tp31 and merge it down
to master so that the build system doesn't start to drift apart too much
among the branches. Also, during release, I made sure to update the release
and administration documentation with as much as I could to tp31 rather
than just push it all to master.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention what I'm up to in tp31 in case there
were any comments.