Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/29 19:04:24 UTC

Purpose of YAML files under speakers/talks

What is the purpose of these yaml files?

https://community.apache.org/speakers/talks/

Sebb

Re: Purpose of YAML files under speakers/talks

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Shane,

Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> ...Everyone: Would this be useful - to have an easy to update list of
> useful presentations - or not?...

There's https://community.apache.org/speakers/slides.html which mostly
duplicates that, without using the data file AFAICS.

Even that page is not really up to date, with the last significant
commit from 2020.

So I don't think the speakers/talks/ data is useful, to me the problem
is that none of us are actively shepherding that content, so having
less stuff to maintain is better.

-Bertrand

Re: Purpose of YAML files under speakers/talks

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
sebb wrote on 3/29/23 3:04 PM:
> What is the purpose of these yaml files?
>
> https://community.apache.org/speakers/talks/

This was meant to be a simple data-driven way to allow folks to add
pointers to useful slide decks they'd made about ASF projects.  Each
yaml would be brief metadata about a single presentation (thus, easy for
a committer to create/keep updated) that pointed to where the
presentation was actually hosted / had been given at an event.

Imagine instead of having source/speakers/slides.md as plain markdown,
you instead had a shell markdown with an intro paragraph, and then a
for-each yaml; add data about this talk; generated output page.

I thought it was a good idea (I do something similar on my personal
slides site) and I added a few Apache Way presentations... but no-one
else ever seemed to care.

--
- Shane
   ComDev PMC