Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> on 2020/09/09 18:00:13 UTC

we are a ASF-project

> Even "open source" vs. "open-source" has already been
> discussed in June.

So you think it is in the interest of the ASF if one of its projects uses a different spelling than the ASF itself?

Jörg

Re: we are an ASF-project

Posted by Michele Denber <md...@gmx.com>.
On 09-12-2020 12:14 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

> On 9/12/2020 12:37 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello Patricia,

There.  Fixed.

             - Michele

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12.09.20 um 09:37 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> [...]

now I see it, too. I haven't seen it as I wrote my former mail.

It was indeed more about the new subject instead of this typo.

Marcus

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello Patricia,

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

not me, but:
www.deepl.com

Jörg

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 9/12/2020 12:46 AM, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

I can struggle through reading French, know a little Latin, and have
picked up some Spanish, especially words and phrases used on public
signs and menus, just by living in a bilingual area. Otherwise, I am the
classic monolingual English speaker.

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: we are a ASF-project

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I don't know why you say that. In any case the thread does not violate any rules.

> >> Yes
> >
> > Where can I find information about this?
>
> OK, do what you want but don't bother me with useless details.

Thanks for this answer which makes me understand how your previous "Yes" is to be understood.

Jörg

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 13.09.20 um 17:27 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

For me it's EOM.

Marcus

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Please keep in mind the difference between opinion and fact, because I don't think there will be an explicit rule for this, so you can (as I suspect) only orientate yourself on discussions, which might already exist.

> > I think that unity makes us strong and that a little
> uniformity in formal things also underlines that we all feel
> as part of the ASF community.
> >
> > However, I will try to discuss exactly this detail to find
> out what the general opinion is about it within the ASF community.
> > (This is why I asked for the 'mailing list for all projects').
>
> Fell free to waste your time to get the point for this
> single-character-problem.

OK.

> But please think of the value-add
> you can get
> our of this solution:
>
> - Either I'm right and you will see from others that the ASF doesn't
> carry about this problem.
> - Or I'm wrong and you will find some people that do care.

A problem of the ASF I absolutely cannot see in this context.

I am missing an information and I want to ask for this information.

Jörg

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12.09.20 um 09:12 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> [...]

Yes

> I think that unity makes us strong and that a little uniformity in formal things also underlines that we all feel as part of the ASF community.
>
> However, I will try to discuss exactly this detail to find out what the general opinion is about it within the ASF community.
> (This is why I asked for the 'mailing list for all projects').

Fell free to waste your time to get the point for this
single-character-problem. But please think of the value-add you can get
our of this solution:

- Either I'm right and you will see from others that the ASF doesn't
carry about this problem.
- Or I'm wrong and you will find some people that do care.

In any case the outcome is worth less than 2 ct.

So, is it really worth for you to follow this way any longer? ;-)

Marcus

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

And I did this because in other places, I am regularly asked to open new threads in case of doubt, in order not to mix up anything.

(By the way, if we want to discuss questions of netiquette, I would be very glad, because the compliance with general netiquette on this list here is very bad. e.g. the list is drowning in "tofu" in places so that an efficient use is not possible.)

> With your formulation "So you think it is in the interest of the ASF
> ..." you imply that someone declines to correct an error and
> therefore
> is doing something bad.

I ask (indirectly) whether the person believes to have made a mistake at all.

> "
> I suggest to change the text of "open-source" in the logo to
> remove the
> dash as I think it's a spelling error.

OK, I can understand that

> I'm not a native
> speaker but when
> looking at other places in other ASF projects it looks like
> it should be
> "open source".
>
> Furthermore, when searching at Google:
> "open source has 158,000,00 hits
> "open-source has just 3,570,00 hits
> "
>
> Yes, it's longer than yours. However, it delivers also some facts.

Und because I have listed other facts I am now criticized (="However, it delivers also some facts.") for not having listed any facts?

(What was my fact --> The explanation of the difference between adjective and non-adjective use of "open-source".)

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 11.09.20 um 10:55 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

There is no need to change it and it doesn't belong to this mail thread.
And everybody knows that we are a project of the ASF.
There is also no need to remind us of this fact.

With your formulation "So you think it is in the interest of the ASF
..." you imply that someone declines to correct an error and therefore
is doing something bad.

To give you an example that shows a more constructive feedback:

So you think it is in the interest of the ASF if one of its projects
uses a different spelling than the ASF itself?

"
I suggest to change the text of "open-source" in the logo to remove the
dash as I think it's a spelling error. I'm not a native speaker but when
looking at other places in other ASF projects it looks like it should be
"open source".

Furthermore, when searching at Google:
"open source has 158,000,00 hits
"open-source has just 3,570,00 hits
"

Yes, it's longer than yours. However, it delivers also some facts.

BTW:
The ASF doesn't care if there is a spelling error in texts that one of
their countless projects is doing. ;-)

PS:
And as always, this is just my opinion and my 2 ct.

Marcus

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

No, I don't do that and that I don't do that is already evident from the fact that I first cast my vote (which formally closed the whole thing) and only then made the remark about the "-".

Did you really think it was right to accuse me of "provocation"(?)

I understand very well that time is short (of all participants), I just don't think it is appropriate to react angry to every unforeseen speech.

Jörg

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09.09.20 um 20:39 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

but you make it soooo complicated. Also the lenght of your mail is not
suitable just to express that a single character - the dash ( - ) - is
in your eye too much or not correct.

Marcus

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I had also provided prominent examples that show that the spelling that is normally used in the English-speaking world is "open source". I did this to make it clear that _if_ the correct spelling could be disputed at all, it seems reasonable to me to use the usual spelling.

> The ASF is an international organization. IMHO for the most people
> English not their native language. So, there will be always language
> problems.

Right, but that is not the problem at this point.

> Therefore I'm sure that - in this case - the ASF is
> not that
> nitpicking as others. J

This is correct.

RE: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

thanks for this information.

My comment is a question:
did really nobody notice the "adjective" in https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/open-source?
Does anyone think that the use in "open-source for 20 Years" is really "adjective"?

imho for exemple:
the use in "open-source office for 20 years" would be adjective, but this case is not present.

Jörg

Re: we are a ASF-project

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Am 09.09.20 um 20:15 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 09.09.20 um 20:00 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
>>> Even "open source" vs. "open-source" has already been
>>> discussed in June.
>>
>> So you think it is in the interest of the ASF if one of its projects
>> uses a different spelling than the ASF itself?
>
> I understand your statement as a provocation. So, what do you want to
> reach with this?
>
> The ASF is an international organization. IMHO for the most people
> English not their native language. So, there will be always language
> problems. Therefore I'm sure that - in this case - the ASF is not that
> nitpicking as others. ;-)

Besides, we already have discussed this, see:

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoffice.apache.org/msg38219.html

Regards,

   Matthias

Re: we are a ASF-project