Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Mike Wong <mi...@finepoint.com.hk> on 2007/01/18 12:32:32 UTC

Question on Rouning tasks

Hi All,

One quick question.

With the current version of OfBiz is it possible to create a "Rounting Task"
which can simulate a job that can be done by multiple workers?

All I can do now is a Task with an estimate usage time which will be
multiply with the quantity to calculate the estimate job end time.  I can't
configure the task to if I can assign 2 workers to that task and the
estimate end time should be cut to half.

Thanks
Mike

Re: Question on Rouning tasks

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

 > Yes, tasks can be used to produce stuff (and the screens you see are
 > exactly for setting the allowed products; then you can use the main
 > production runs screen to 'produce' them): however it is a manual
 > process and as I see it it should only be used for non standard results.

Yes, you're right. My boss tells me the common way, as you described, is to use a cascading
structure/network of production runs.

 >> Seems like the Manufacturing module is choke full of skeletal
 >> half-implemented concepts. Maybe we should:
 >
 > This is not true, but think it as you prefer.

Lot control ID.

 >> 1. Round off all half-implemented concepts so newcomers don't have so
 >> many red
 >>    herrings to deal with.
 >> 2. Document all fully-implemented concepts so newcomers know that
 >> undocumented
 >>    concepts are either not there or not fully there.
 >> What do you think?
 >
 > Go for it. I'd suggest (as I already told you in one of my previous
 > posts) to create a Wiki page for this.

I'll try. Currently, I'm as busy as you are. And we certainly don't see you or me writing Wikis at
this time. In fact, I write more to help other newbies with what information I got from you and
other veterans (some I discovered myself).

I've been trying to get some people who has time to write (possibly because they don't need to
code). But they're writing "other stuff" right now on the ML.

 >> I'm willing to help, as long as you continue to give me such
 >> invaluable pointers!
 >
 > I really cannot promise this, but if I can I will continue to help you all.

Yes, you always did. Thanks!

 >> I know you must have forgotten many of the functionalities you coded.
 >
 > I've never said something like this., but, again, think it as you
 > prefer: no time to discuss with you.

I can dig up several posts to show this. But let's leave it at this and focus on work instead. I
have a bad memory too, when I have too much work.

 > You are really making too many assumptions and in my opinion this is a
 > common pattern for people, like you, that speak too much :-)

I can spend an hour to dig into OFBiz to answer my own questions; or I can spend 5 minutes to ask
those questions on ML. Assumptions are a quick way to learn, since they do draw corrections and
answers. :)

Of course, I realized that it seems to take people quite a long time to answer questions even for
modules they've coded before, possibly because they've coded that too long ago.

So, instead of asking "Does OFBiz does this/that?", I've resorted to asking "OFBiz does (or does
not) do this/that. Confirm?". Most of the time (check and tally my posts on ML), I was right. I
hope that saved the OFBiz veterans' time, since they only had to give a "yes/no" answer.

I hope you don't mean I "speak too much [truth]". Like you, I'm straightforward. No time to tiptoe
around with "customer service". I used to try (all posts recorded, so refer). People tend to
"feel" for facts, rather than see facts. I like written comms, zero room for "feeling for facts",
all there to be read and reread. But as you can see in my posts, I often "give in", let people
think what they think against the written facts, and move on to work.

If work gets done, I'm happy. I leave people to argue with the written posts themselves.

 > As a general rule, if you want to get a chance to get any kind of
 > attention from me, keep your messages as short as possible: chances are
 > that I will not read more than the first 5 lines of your posts from now
 > on (sorry but I simply don't have the time to chat with you).

I know you're busy. That's why I've been trying to figure things out myself, post my findings, and
occasionally hope for your corrections. Thanks!

Jonathon

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Jacopo,

Thanks for heads up on the WIP! Invaluable advice.

So you're saying that Task Runs (PROD_ORDER_TASK) can never produce anything by themselves (inside
context of a Production Run PROD_ORDER_HEADER)? Then what does the "Deliverable Products" tab in
"Edit Routing Task" function do?

Seems like the Manufacturing module is choke full of skeletal half-implemented concepts. Maybe we
should:

1. Round off all half-implemented concepts so newcomers don't have so many red
    herrings to deal with.

2. Document all fully-implemented concepts so newcomers know that undocumented
    concepts are either not there or not fully there.

What do you think?

I'm willing to help, as long as you continue to give me such invaluable pointers! I know you must
have forgotten many of the functionalities you coded. But as long as you point me the way, I can
take apart OFBiz quickly to document it. Deal?

Do note that I'm not exactly your average newcomer, so you don't have to expand on everything you
say. Just an idea will do. Like how Scott Gray pointed "Manufacturing Rules" and I kinda
documented on ML about your "Virtual BOMs" doing away with need for man extraneous "Manufacturing
Rules".

Please help. And thanks for all the help so far, and all you've done for Manufacturing module!

Jonathon

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Ok,

but maybe I was not very clear with this.
You can actually create calendars of capacity per day
(Manufacturing->Calendars), the capacity is expressed in milliseconds:
you can define standards weeks, days and also exceptions days amd weeks
(such as an holiday).
You can set the desired calendar for each fixed asset (aka workcenter or
machine) in Accounting->Fixed Assets.
The fixed asset (used by a task) is set in the Manufacturing->Tasks screens.
The capacity in the calendars is considered when the production runs are
created; if I have a 10 hours task using a fixed asset associated to an
8-hours-per-day calendar then it will start today and the estimated
completion date will be tomorrow (8 hours today and 2 tomorrow).
You can even see the production runs running in a facility by selectimg
a facility in the WorkEffort->calendar screens; if you select a fixed
asset you'll see the routing tasks running in that fixed asset.
This could help, together with some nice reports (not currently
available) and maybe some external tools to do more advanced capacity
scheduling.
However, if you run another identical production run in the same day, it
will not see the existing production and will be scheduled in the same
time frame.

Jacopo

Posted by Mike Wong <mi...@finepoint.com.hk>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jonhaton,

Posted by Jonathon -- Improov <jo...@improov.com>.
Mike,

I hope all goes well with your demonstration.

And Mike, if your demonstration audience tells you anything like "functionalities seem incomplete,
awkward workarounds", don't worry. Tell them "OFBiz framework is solid and has tremendous
long-term benefits in terms of EXTENSIBILITY".

I'd be happy to demonstrate exactly why that is, put my money where my mouth is.

Objective? Tell them we've got the engine real solid, and putting the car body around it is more
trivial, not expensive.

Anyway, whatever happens, you can come back to report your success or to wail at us (or just me).
We'll help in whatever way we can.

Just come back. :)

Jonathon

Posted by Mike Wong <mi...@finepoint.com.hk>.