Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by mq...@nlxcorp.com on 2003/10/23 22:07:55 UTC

Files that should not be updated

Hello,

I'm currently porting our razor source format to a subversion repository
and have the following issue:

The repository includes everything that a developer needs to begin work on
the code so that when the developer executes
the checkout command all files are there. This includes Makefiles and DEP
files used to build the code. This files must be
tailored by each developer depending on their working circumstance so after
checking out a load they'll edit them to include their
configurations. This then causes problems with the repository because when
a developer runs the "svn update" command s/he's
told that the files are in conflict, etc. Is there a way to have subversion
NOT keep track of file versions on specified files in the
repository?

Thanks.

Marco Quezada
Aerospaceo Engineero
NLX Corporation
22626 Sally Ride Dr.
Sterling, VA, 20164
703-234-2100  ext. 1028

Re: Files that should not be updated

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
mquezada@nlxcorp.com writes:

> Is there a way to have subversion NOT keep track of file versions on
> specified files in the repository?

Yes -- just don't put the files in the repository.

Honestly, either files are under version control, or they're not.
Subversion has no problem if your working copy contains unversioned
files.  You can even describe the files in the svn:ignore property, so
that 'svn status' won't notice them at all.

Re: Files that should not be updated

Posted by Paul Gross <pa...@grosss.net>.
What if you just check in a file which generates the initial file(s) you
want.  For example, check in "generate-settings.py"  When this program is
run, it creates a file called "my_settings.txt," which is ignored by
svn.  Then, make your build process check for the existence of
"my_settings.txt" and if it doesn't find it, runs "generate-settings.py"

I think this solves all of your problems.  The developers don't have to do
anything initially, and subversion ignores the settings file like you want.

Paul Gross
paul@grosss.net

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.