Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl> on 2006/12/22 21:50:55 UTC

Branch

Have we already created an ANT_17_BRANCH?

Re: Branch

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 12/22/06, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I also would prefer to wait a bit to create the ANT_17_BRANCH.
>
> For Ant 1.8, I have in mind some refactoring, like maybe splitting the source tree per jar.

I would prefer to remove the large number of jars.
The original reason for the split was to help people with classloading issues.
The idea being that one could move the for example ant-junit.jar file out
of $ANT_HOME/lib, and do a taskdef with this file and its needed third
party files.
This has not worked out in practice. The better way is that done by
jesse for the junit task - using a split loader. I think that we can do this
for most of the tasks that depend on third party jars. - I am near
ready to commit the changes needed for <script> and bsf.jar

Peter

Re: Branch

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> what I really have in mind is to setup ant's source tree so that you
> can build ant with maven with very simple POMs, which means one
> source tree per output jar file.

I don't share this desire but won't stand in your way.  If you want to
do that you'll probably have some very good reasons.

Like Peter I'd rather prefer to go back to a single jar, though.

Also I don't really want to restructure our source tree just because
of some tools weaknesses.

> This would not prevent us from keeping our build system with
> build.bat/build.sh bootstrap.bat/bootstrap.sh and build.xml

Keeping booststrap.sh/.bat is a must.  I - and I guess others as well
- want to be able to build Ant with /bin/sh and a JDK, nothing else.

Stefan

Re: Branch

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:

>>> In the long run, if maven becomes better at solving some issues like the
>> release process (including the so called staged release process) we could
>> build, stage and release ant using maven.
>>>
>> what's the benefit ? for what purpose ?
>>

> the benefit would be to use whatever the maven team develops to automate or semi automate releases.

There's stuff underway in ivy to generate pom files from ivy
descriptors; it could be the precursor to ant based release deployment.
For those of us whose projects live mostly in the Ant space, not having
to drop to Maven would only be a good thing. After all, if I can use
maven for releases, why not use it from the ground up?

Nb, we have used maven1 in the past to create some of the site docs for
smartfrog, like the change log. We also use forrest.

-steve

Re: Branch

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Stephane,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:58:26 +0100
Von: Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>
An: Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: Branch

> Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what I really have in mind is to setup ant's source tree so that you can
> build ant with maven with very simple POMs, which means one source tree
> per output jar file. This would not prevent us from keeping our build system
> with build.bat/build.sh bootstrap.bat/bootstrap.sh and build.xml but would
> allow to setup parallel builds using maven which would work fine.
> >

> I'm sorry but I disagree.
> Certainly not dozen of source trees, it is a complete nightmare in term
> of management.

OK

Re: Branch

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>.

Re: RE: Branch

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

what I really have in mind is to setup ant's source tree so that you can build ant with maven with very simple POMs, which means one source tree per output jar file. This would not prevent us from keeping our build system with build.bat/build.sh bootstrap.bat/bootstrap.sh and build.xml but would allow to setup parallel builds using maven which would work fine.

In the long run, if maven becomes better at solving some issues like the release process (including the so called staged release process) we could build, stage and release ant using maven.

We can already build ant's jars using maven, but our POMs are convoluted.

Regards,

Antoine

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 04:52:33 +1030
Von: "Stephen McConnell" <mc...@dpml.net>
An: "\'Ant Developers List\'" <de...@ant.apache.org>

RE: Branch

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

Re: Branch

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I also would prefer to wait a bit to create the ANT_17_BRANCH.

fine with me.

Re: Branch

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I also would prefer to wait a bit to create the
>> ANT_17_BRANCH.
>>
>> For Ant 1.8, I have in mind some refactoring, like
>> maybe splitting the source tree per jar.
>> Documentation could also be split by theme such as
>> property tasks, resource based tasks, SCM tasks
>> rather than the current distinction core/optional
>> which is not so nice.
>
> While we're on the subject, note that in Java6,
> <script> is no longer an optional task.  ;)

Interesting point.

I've moved to vmware XP images to java6, and my laptop has jdk5 and 6
side-by-side. No plans to do java6 only stuff, but I may do some
optional smartfrog components that use it (e.g tray notifier), plus some
stuff to do network device analsysis.

for ant, I'd like a secure password input by allowing an InputHander to
be a SecureInputHandler which is expected to not echo chars on demand.
the IDEs could add this, as could the java6 handler.

-steve

Re: Branch

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Branch

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello,

I also would prefer to wait a bit to create the ANT_17_BRANCH.

For Ant 1.8, I have in mind some refactoring, like maybe splitting the source tree per jar. Documentation could also be split by theme such as property tasks, resource based tasks, SCM tasks rather than the current distinction core/optional which is not so nice.

Datum: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:05:12 +0100
Von: Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>
An: Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>

Re: Branch