Posted to general@poi.apache.org by Chris Metcalf <ch...@blist.com> on 2008/06/04 09:05:00 UTC

Status of Office Open XML Support

We're interested in adding support for The Office Open XLSX format to
some of our tools.

According to http://poi.apache.org/ it is currently in a development
branch and is scheduled to be finalized later this summer.

What is the current state of the development code? Is it in a usable
and reliable state or should we wait until later in the year when the
wrinkles have been ironed out?

Thanks,
Chris Metcalf

Re: Status of Office Open XML Support

Posted by Marco Meschieri - Logical Objects <m....@logicalobjects.it>.
Chris Metcalf ha scritto:
> We're interested in adding support for The Office Open XLSX format to
> some of our tools.
>
> According to http://poi.apache.org/ it is currently in a development
> branch and is scheduled to be finalized later this summer.
>
> What is the current state of the development code? Is it in a usable
> and reliable state or should we wait until later in the year when the
> wrinkles have been ironed out?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Metcalf

Hi Chris,

i suggest you to wait a more stable release of POI, we also introduced
support for the Office2007 format in our commercial solution called
LogicalDOC(the commercial version of Contineo).
In this case we decided to develop our own text etractors.

Best Regards
ing. Marco Meschieri
e-mail: m.meschieri@logicalobjects.it <ma...@logicalobjects.it>
Logical Objects snc
Via Bonasi, 2/A 41012 Carpi (MO) Italy
Tel./Fax. 059 688969
web: http://www.logicalobjects.it
--
AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL DLGS 196/2003:
nel/i file/s allegato/i, sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il

This e-mail and any file transmitted with it is intended only for the
person or entity to which is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
Copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein
by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or fax. Proprietor of treatment is Logical Objects SNC Via

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> We're interested in adding support for The Office Open XLSX format to
> some of our tools.
>
> According to http://poi.apache.org/ it is currently in a development
> branch and is scheduled to be finalized later this summer.
>
> What is the current state of the development code?

It's in svn, and many people are using it just fine. However, it isn't yet
feature complete, so for example not everything in hssf is currently
supported in xssf

I'd suggest giving it a try, and see if it already does all you need. You
can get nightly builds from
 	http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/OOXML-Branch/

Nick