Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net> on 2014/05/29 02:08:41 UTC

DeviceMap Community - Incubator PMC/Board report

Re: DeviceMap Community - Incubator PMC/Board report

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
As for your other question, would device map be more active if it had device data?

Yes, I believe so. First, I've pointed this out several times, the current implementation is not entirely accurate. This is due to the ODDR legacy. I rewrote the api which address many aspects of it, but the next step is to take control of the data so the 2 parts (data and api) are married in a more complete way. Right now they are disjointed, patterns are added without any knowledge of how they are best matched by the pattern matcher in the api. Also, the data gets copied over from ODDR. Its unknown whether ODDR is still active. The website is down. This risks the entire device map project.

Also, the data in itself is very useful. It doesnt need to be used with the api. I for one would port my dclass project to the data, so you will at least have 1 other project using this data. Im sure other projects would want to leverage this device data as well. Devices are the future, so there should be a project which captures and classifies these devices in a meaningful way.

________________________________
Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Yes, that's correct. And while I can't say, what Gopal has in the pipeline,
it should work similar to e.g. Eclipse Babel:
http://babel.eclipse.org/babel/

Or the various Crowd Translation projects mentioned here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1866655/crowdsourced-translation

A good example would be Ackuna.com <http://ackuna.com/> which supports the
following string formats:

   1. Microsoft Excel (.xls)
   2. Microsoft Office Open XML (.xlsx)
   3. Android XML (.xml)
   4. Ruby YAML (.yml)
   5. Blackberry Resource (.rrc)
   6. iOS Strings (.strings)
   7. Java configuration (.properties)
   8. Gnu Gettext Protable Object (.po)

The XML based DDR resource format would be quite similar to several of
these markup languages.
IMHO the gathering of device signatures is far closer to e.g. translation
as it literally helps "translate" a mobile web application to a particular
device or class of devices.

P.s.: I proposed DM for ApacheCon Europe. Also told organizers, you could
be there and happy to act as co-speaker. Not sure, if they entered you, did
anybody approach you yet?

Werner

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
I know, the important question is, are they (either with "paperwork" or by
simply registering online, could probably be similar and connected to a
JIRA account, after all it's also Java-based and see Eclipse, there a Babel
user works for Wiki or Bugzilla, too) allowed to contribute this way?

Artifacts which pretty much are the same you get out of Babel, some XML or
Java Resource Bundle/Properties.

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
You misunderstand the point, and as mentioned in last month's report, this
web interface isn't primarily for *committers*, it is for another class of "
*contributors*", e.g. Eclipse Foundation just increased the lines of code
that can simply be contributed by Gerrit (a mechanism to provide/approve
change and pull-requests via Git, in theory we could also explore Git as
opposed to SVN to improve participation) without being a full committer.

I don't know if this class of contributor exists as Apache, but it is
comparable to someone who files a bug in JIRA and may also attach something
(anywhere from screenshot to an actual patch) but patch files sound
cumbersome and would require effort similar to what I do with OpenDDR so
far.

Take some pull-requests in the OpenDDR repo, which only a small number of
people there can process. That's why updates happen fewer now or may even
stop. Something we should avoid, but the key is to allow a wider audience
to make "casual contributions" without having to use SVN or install an IDE.
If you want a Web-based IDE, doesn't matter what you call it, the key is,
that people ON mobile devices could contribute device signatures either
manually or semi-automatic (via some experimental Cordova/DeviceMap ideas
we had earlier[?])

Werner

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I will take care of it this weekend, otherwise soon.

________________________________
Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Reza,

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Well, it would be 1 of 2 ways:

1) a developer or contributor keeps the data up to date privately. This is similar to how openddr is working today. The problem with this approach is that it can easily fail if said developer does follow thru. Also, said developer has to have great visibility into the device space to be able to stay on top of new devices that enter the market.

2) create a website which allows user agents to be tested and new devices to be submitted. So the scenario is that we release the device data and api and a user finds a new device which does work. They goto the website and enter in the user-agent and the website confirms the device does not match or the match is invalid. The user then submits the user-agent into a queue where a developer then looks at the user-agent and adds a new pattern (or fixes an existing pattern) to make the device match properly. If its a new device, the device attributes are added in as well. This new pattern and device are picked up in the next release.

Is this what you were asking for?

________________________________

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
>> I expect to meet people interested in DeviceMap this weekend at the MeetUp...

Yes, that sounds like a great idea :)

Keep us posted.

________________________________
Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
At least contributions are fewer this year. I would not say it's dead, but
there has never been the vitality we'd hope if there was finally an
infrastructure here[?]

Loking at WURFL that is completely dead. The last version of even its API
(visible on MavenCentral) was
net.sourceforge.wurfl
<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22net.sourceforge.wurfl%22>
wurfl <http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Ca%3A%22wurfl%22>1.3.1.1
<http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cnet.sourceforge.wurfl%7Cwurfl%7C1.3.1.1%7Cjar>
  all (12)
<http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22net.sourceforge.wurfl%22%20AND%20a%3A%22wurfl%22>
24-Aug-*2011*

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Gopal/all,

Posted by gopal kris <ma...@gmail.com>.
I do not seem to have access to that wiki

Posted by Gopal Kris <ma...@gmail.com>.
Not yet.
I shall send you in a week.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "reza.naghibi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Is there a demo?

Re: DeviceMap Community - Incubator PMC/Board report

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Gopal,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gopal Kris <ma...@gmail.com>.