Posted to users@maven.apache.org by nodje <no...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/11 08:37:55 UTC

Parents version isn't check for new updates on the remote repository

Hi,

I'm confronted to this problem. There's a post with the same subject but it
stayed unanswered by Maven folks.

When someone update and 'mvn deploy' the parent-pom, it's not automatically
updated on other instances of  child projects. Each every developer has to
do a 'mvn install' to get the latest version.

In other words, it seems there is no update checks on the remote repo for
the parent version in a child project.

Is that an expected behavior? If not, is there a bug filled alreay for that?
Is there any workaround ?

cheers
nodje

Re: Parents version isn't check for new updates on the remote repository

Posted by nodje <no...@gmail.com>.
A month later, I'm still confronting the same problem...

Is there anything obvious I'm missing here?
Am I the only one trying to figure this out?

:-/

nodje wrote:

> [...]
> <artifactId>company-parent</artifactId>
> <version>2-SNAPSHOT</version>
> <packaging>pom</packaging>
>
> <name>company-parent</name>

> A company dependency:
> <parent>
>     <groupId>com.company</groupId>
>     <artifactId>company-parent</artifactId>
>     <version>2-SNAPSHOT</version>
> </parent>
>
> <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
> <packaging>jar</packaging>
> <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>
> <name>commons</name>
> A company project:
>
> <parent>
>     <groupId>com.company</groupId>
>     <artifactId>company-parent</artifactId>
>     <version>2-SNAPSHOT</version>
> </parent>
>
> <groupId>com.company.client</groupId>
> <artifactId>project</artifactId>
> <packaging>war</packaging>
> <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>
> <name>project</name>
>
> <dependencies>
>     <dependency>
>         <groupId>com.company</groupId>
>         <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
>         <version>1.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <scope>compile</scope>
>     </dependency>
> </dependencies>
>
> The first time of the day you run a maven command on your project, Maven
> will check the repo for updates of commons-1.1-SNAPSHOT. Same if your run
> your command with -U.
> But it seems it'll never check for company-parent-2-SNAPSHOT, even when
> invoked with -U.
>
> When everyone rely on the company-parent pom in a team it causes big
> problems. Maven behavior becomes different on each every instance. People
> have to check out the latest version of the company-pom from the VCS and
> 'mvn install' on their local repository.
>
> Hope I made it clear enough.
> I'd be really surprised if it was to be the expected behavior. At the same
> time I wonder why this problem doesn't seem to appear in the mailing list.
>
> Explanation welcome!!
>
> -nodje
>

> Wayne Fay wrote:
>>
>>> In other words, it seems there is no update checks on the remote repo
>>> for
>>> the parent version in a child project.
>>>
>>> Is that an expected behavior? If not, is there a bug filled alreay for
>>> that?
>>> Is there any workaround ?
>>
>> Its hard to understand what you are really asking here. Can you make
>> it a little more concrete with an example perhaps?
>>
>> Please be aware that only SNAPSHOT versions are ever checked for
>> updates/changes. If you deploy mulitple files with the same
>> non-SNAPSHOT version (eg myjar-2.5.3.jar), you will quickly run into a
>> world of pain.
>>
>> Finally, you should also know that repositories by default are checked
>> for updates to a given snapshot once daily. You can configure this to
>> occur more or less frequently -- check the documentation for

Re: Parents version isn't check for new updates on the remote repository

Posted by nodje <no...@gmail.com>.
hum, still no one about this?
It'd really help to solve the issue though.

nodje

Posted by nodje <no...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for not being clear.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.