Posted to discuss@apachecon.com by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/04/30 16:54:38 UTC

Speaker list and CFP

I heard on #apache that the speaker list for the upcoming ApacheCon will
be primarily drawn from the Dublin list, rather than issuing a CFP. For
some reason, I did not see that note, but then I appear to have screwed
up my mail server this morning before my coffee. Bah.

I have two objections to this, one selfish, the other more broad.

First, I did not submit a paper for the Dublin conference, primarily due
to not wanting to be away from my 3-year-old any more than absolutely
necessary that year. I would really like the opportunity to submit a
paper to this conference.

Secondly, Apache is in a rather different place than it was when people
were writing proposals for Dublin. It seems that the quality of papers
would necessarily suffer, or, at least, papers would be rather far from
their advertised purpose, if one had to give those papers in a post 2.0
world, rather than pre 2.0 release. I think that a new round of paper
submissions are warranted. Perhaps preference could be given to folks
that were already promised a spot in Dublin - I don't think I have a
problem with that - but other folks may have good things to say also.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
Author - Apache Administrator's Guide

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:54:38AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Secondly, Apache is in a rather different place than it was when people
> were writing proposals for Dublin. It seems that the quality of papers
> would necessarily suffer, or, at least, papers would be rather far from
> their advertised purpose, if one had to give those papers in a post 2.0
> world, rather than pre 2.0 release. I think that a new round of paper
> submissions are warranted. Perhaps preference could be given to folks
> that were already promised a spot in Dublin - I don't think I have a
> problem with that - but other folks may have good things to say also.

What he said.
I can see why it is going to be much simpler to put together a schedule
based on what was selected for Dublin, but to be honest, I don't think
that it will be fair to the people going to the conference, to present
papers that are potentially a year older than they should be. Given
that the other conference was supposed to have been in Dublin, it might
also have made several people choose differently when deciding wether
to submit a talk or not. IMHO a reuse of maybe half of what should have
been in Dublin and the other half being new submissions would be more
"right".

just my $.02

vh

Mads Toftum
--
With a rubber duck, one's never alone.
              -- "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Troy Miller wrote:

> Secondly, as a resident of Las Vegas, I can guarantee you that this
> place will be "nutso".  Those of us who live here go no where near the
> strip during COMDEX.  As noted below, rooms are VERY expensive during
> this time.  A better deal for everyone (room rate wise and conference
> costs wise) would have been about anytime but COMDEX.

Um, not so, at least not from the convention management perspective.
Our hotel rates in LV in November are going to be cheaper than
they would have been if we had settled on August.  And having AC
at the same time as COMDEX is deliberate, not only to hopefully
get some cross-pollination, but because companies can find it easier
to have their staff out of the office for one week rather than
two or more.  It is also less expensive for exhibitors if they can
do two shows in the same town at the same time.

Believe me, this has been considered very carefully and at length.
Planning a conference is not like planning a picnic; there are a
lot of factors of which I never even dreamed until I got involved.

One of them -- a big one -- is money.  We have to have enough
revenue to pay for things we want, like A/V, meeting space,
printed handouts, meals, electrical support, networking, ...
That means getting sponsors and exhibitors, as well as delegates.
And figuring out pricing that will keep us from going into the
red while still being attractive to all concerned.  And having
the 'con at a time and location that makes the most people
happy (or the least unhappy).  It's a very complex juggling act.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> ok, whatever - I wasn't pointing fingers.

I just wanted to make sure that things don't get blown out of
proportion.

> rather, I was just trying to let the planners know that there may
> be issues where even previously-accepted speakers are confused about
> the status of their talk wrt time (if there are others like me).

Thanks.

I'll start a new thread about the selection process.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
 > No, you submitted a 2-hour talk.  3-hour sessions were not an option.

 > No, it was reduced from 120 to 90 minutes.

ok, whatever - I wasn't pointing fingers. rather, I was just trying to let the planners
know that there may be issues where even previously-accepted speakers are confused about
the status of their talk wrt time (if there are others like me).

thanks for making it so that there actually is a conference this year, despite the
numerous hardships - I'm sure everyone appreciates it :)

--Geoff

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Just to keep things from getting out of hand here..

* On 2002-05-01 at 09:29,
  Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> excited the electrons to say:

> I submitted a 3 hour talk which was accepted.

No, you submitted a 2-hour talk.  3-hour sessions were not an option.

> then my time was cut in half, due to whatever reasons, by the
> conference committee.

No, it was reduced from 120 to 90 minutes.  You should have been
consulted, though I can find no record of it.  The only explanation
of which I can think is the disruption caused by the implosion of
Camelot Communications kept that from happening (among other things).

> so, how much time do I (and others in the same situation) get
> if the talk is carried over?

At this point I don't know.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> I would be a little irked if I have to resubmit for a new CFP.  I spent
> a lot of work buildling my last CFP that is still completely valid.
> Every presenter ends up tweaking their presentations as the conference
> get closer anyway.

I really don't want to get into the politics of all of this, but I'm really curious about
situations like what happened to me with Dublin...

I submitted a 3 hour talk which was accepted.  then my time was cut in half, due to
whatever reasons, by the conference committee.  so, how much time do I (and others in the
same situation) get if the talk is carried over?

and, just to add my $0.02, I'd appreciate a CFP in whatever form as I have about 4 other
talks prepared for the committee to consider (of varying lengths) that I didn't have a
year ago.

--Geoff

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

> I would be a little irked if I have to resubmit for a new CFP.  I spent
> a lot of work buildling my last CFP that is still completely valid.

Sure, but this is not the same conference. And some of us, for a variety
of reasons, did not get to submit papers at all, and so would miss out
on the opportunity to speak at this conferences for reasons that were
valid a year ago, but, unlike your talk, are not valid for November
2002.

I don't mean to be difficult. I realize that choosing a slate of
speakers for any conference is a difficult and arduous task. And perhaps
I'm being unduly selfish. Dunno. Can Ken chime in on this matter?

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com>.
Troy Miller wrote:

> I agree about a new CFP.  I think there will be much more interest in
> http-2.0 than what would've been discussed in Dublin.
>
> Secondly, as a resident of Las Vegas, I can guarantee you that this
> place will be "nutso".  Those of us who live here go no where near the
> strip during COMDEX.  As noted below, rooms are VERY expensive during
> this time.  A better deal for everyone (room rate wise and conference
> costs wise) would have been about anytime but COMDEX.

So, for my two cents.

I would be a little irked if I have to resubmit for a new CFP.  I spent
a lot of work buildling my last CFP that is still completely valid.
 Every presenter ends up tweaking their presentations as the conference
get closer anyway.  I think that anyone who had a paper accepted to the
Dublin conference is professional enough to (a) retune there paper and
presentation to be applicable to "the now" or (b) resend their paper
from the conference.  I for one will have no problem targeting my paper
on current horizons, but would much rather invest my time doing so in
the month directly proceding the conference rather than now and again then.

I do agree that not having any fresh material in the CFP response pool
seems wrong.  There should be a way to address that.  Perhaps if the
commitee finds that 25% of the original accepted speakers don't resend
they should issue another CFP.  That would force 25%+ "newer" material.

The problem is that some of the presentations will never be out dated.
 Stas' mod_perl series, for example, doesn't get old.  Even if it
continues to focus on mod_perl 1.x and not 2.0 it would still be
_extremely_ applicable.  Frankly, I think it would be best to keep most
of the older mod_perl series in tact and replace only one session with a
new "hey 2.0 exists!" session as well.  This opinion is based on the
sheer number of people that use mod_perl in Apache 1.3 compared to the
number of people that use mod_perl in Apache 2.0.  Both are important,
but the conference cost a lot of money and the attendees want to walk
away with information and insight that is valuable and applicable.

ApacheCon is an interesting balance between what open source developers
want to present and what attendees want to pay to see.  They don't
completely overlap :-)  Which is why "methodology and techniques"
sessions are so priceless.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Troy Miller <tm...@studioindigo.com>.
I agree about a new CFP.  I think there will be much more interest in
http-2.0 than what would've been discussed in Dublin.

Secondly, as a resident of Las Vegas, I can guarantee you that this
place will be "nutso".  Those of us who live here go no where near the
strip during COMDEX.  As noted below, rooms are VERY expensive during
this time.  A better deal for everyone (room rate wise and conference
costs wise) would have been about anytime but COMDEX.

Just my $.02 worth.

Troy

Justin Erenkrantz wrote

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

>>>It's too involved to repeat.
>>>

>>My appologies.  Is this list archived somewhere?
>>

>Send a message to <di...@ApacheCon.Com> to fetch the

Got it.. great info thanks.

>>but little on what I'm curious about: the process for considering
>>them
>>

>Described in the above message.
>

>>and how best to edit my proposal to increase its chances of being
>>accepted by ensuring it covers what is preferred
>>

>See the front page of the site (recently fixed) and the category
>check-boxes on the submission form.

will do.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

>"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:
>
>>How are the rest of the proposals decided upon?

>It's too involved to repeat.

My appologies.  Is this list archived somewhere?

The only one I've gotten from you on the subject is the one from the
6th.  It just says "only those pertaining to projects of the Apache
Software Foundation" will be considered and that no commercial
presentations will be considered.  That gives me a good idea what
*won't* be considered, but little on what I'm curious about: the process
for considering them and how best to edit my proposal to increase its
chances of being accepted by ensuring it covers what is preferred and I
lengthen or shorten it.  Or if I've got no chance in heck, then I could
focus my energy on other things.

Thanks,

-Andy

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Theo Schlossnagle <je...@omniti.com>.

Re: Speaker list and CFP

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Rich Bowen wrote:

> I heard on #apache that the speaker list for the upcoming
> ApacheCon will be primarily drawn from the Dublin list,
> rather than issuing a CFP.

Coming soon to a mailbox near you: announcement of the CFP
period for ApacheCon US 2002.  Open now, submission deadline
17h30 EDT on Friday, 31 May 2002.

Yes, speakers whose sessions were selected for Dublin get
an automatic approval if they want to speak at Las Vegas.
However, not enough of them responded to fill the programme
(which would probably be bigger in LV anyway; we typically
run four rooms in the US as opposed to three elsewhere).

Of course, anyone who complained here about the potential
lack of a CFP automatically gets teased if it can't make
the deadline and wants an extension.. }-D
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"