Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com> on 2008/11/14 01:14:05 UTC

buildnumber value not making it to local repo

I've configured the buildnumber plugin to attach a timestamp thusly

<finalName>${project.artifactId}-${project.version}-${buildNumber}</fina
lName>

and the [jar] artifact is produced in the target/ directory as expected.

But the build number is not carried into the local repo when installing
the artifact.

If the command '% mvn clean install' produces

   framework-1.2.3-SNAPHOT-20081113155701.jar

in target/, the artifact appearing in the local repo is

   framework-1.2.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

I haven't tried, but I expect that the results would be the same for
'deploy', as well. Ideas anyone?

Thanks and regards,
Brad

RE: buildnumber value not making it to local repo

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com>.
> Do you require the full release process with a tag for every
> one of these versions, or would unique snapshots (with the
> revision number baked inside) work for you?

We don't *require* tags at each iteration, but since its been our
practice to use the 'release' plugin to deploy, extra tags are a
by-product. The tagged release that makes it into production is
required.

> This is a good idea regardless. :)

Agreed.

Brad

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com>.
That's effectively what happens during the [internal] QA process. We
release 1.2.3-RC-1, ..., up to n, as needed. When its been qualified by
the QA folks, the artifact is re-released *without* the '-RC-x' suffix.

After some basic smoke tests, a request is made to deploy the artifact
into UAT where customers have access. Te UAT version lacks the '-RC-x'.

Often the issues that arise in UAT are very minor, and it's been a pain
to have to re-release to UAT [with a new version number]. These UAT-only
releases never make it into production.

I had hoped that the build number would replace our '-RC-x' versioning
convention and allow QA to differentiate submitted artifacts having the
same base version AND serve the same purpose within UAT.

When we get to the 'final' UAT-approved version, it is what it is. No
re-release would be required and the artifact can be deployed directly
to production. Since we deploy via the 'release' plugin, the tag
associated with that build is already on hand.

Brad

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com>.
So I've been mis-interpreting the way the build number would be used.

My organization has separate UAT [user acceptance test] and production
environments. Nothing gets to production that hasn't been through UAT.

The development group distributes artifacts to the group responsible for
deployment into these environments via an internal remote maven
repository. Generally, we convey the artifacts to the repo using the
'release' plugin, which I understand relies on the 'deploy' plugin.

We've been forced to advance version numbers when deploying successive
fixes/refinements in UAT so that the artifacts can be differentiated.
I.e. we can't release 1.2.3, have it placed in UAT, and then release
another 1.2.3 with very minor tweaks because it can't be [easily]
distinguished from the first one. So we release 1.2.4, even though 1.2.3
was never a true production version. UAT is effectively an extension of
the QA process.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.