Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2004/07/22 20:45:50 UTC

RFC: Default svnserve realm

We have a bug in svnserve's computation of the default realm, such
that some number of extra characters can get included after the end of
the path to the repository, depending on the length of the -r option.

One solution is to fix the current code so that it correctly reports
the path to the repository root (as it appears in the URL), probably
by taking b->repos_url and skipping past the scheme and hostname
parts.

A second solution is to use the uuid of the repository as the default
realm, as we (I am told) do in ra_local.

I like the first solution because it's more meaningful to the user.
But the second one is nice in that it works despite repository moves,
and it's also nice and simple from a coding perspective.

Either solution is likely to present some small amount of disruption
to users.

Opinions?

Re: RFC: Default svnserve realm

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 04:45:50PM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
> We have a bug in svnserve's computation of the default realm, such
> that some number of extra characters can get included after the end of
> the path to the repository, depending on the length of the -r option.
>
> One solution is to fix the current code so that it correctly reports
> the path to the repository root (as it appears in the URL), probably
> by taking b->repos_url and skipping past the scheme and hostname
> parts.
>
> A second solution is to use the uuid of the repository as the default
> realm, as we (I am told) do in ra_local.
>
> I like the first solution because it's more meaningful to the user.
> But the second one is nice in that it works despite repository moves,
> and it's also nice and simple from a coding perspective.
>
> Either solution is likely to present some small amount of disruption
> to users.
>
> Opinions?

My vote is for the uuid.  People can always configure it with something
more meaningful if that's a problem to them.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken