Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Colm McCartan <co...@owl.co.uk> on 2001/06/13 15:17:41 UTC

Turbine under JBuilder (was: building turbine sources)

13/06/2001 00:11:33, Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> wrote:

>On 6/12/01 7:07 PM, "michael young" <mh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin,
>>
>> I understand the compiler error. The problem is that the file I'm compiling
>> comes from the CVS sources I've checked out from the jakarta-turbine
>> workspace. I've been trying to import these source files into JBuilder,
>> however, I am experiencing compilation errors. The only way I've been able
>> to successfully compile the Turbine sources is using ant, and I've been
>> wondering if that is the only way to compile the sources. I'd like to be
>> able to compile under Jbuilder in case I need to debug the source files.
>
>I'm sure you can get it to work under Jbuilder :-) I don't use
>it myself so I'm not much help.
>
>But do you could document your journey setting up Turbine
>for development in Jbuilder? If you post a text file I'll
>turn it into an xdoc.

I've put together a document describing my experiences with this but
(ironically) I can't get it all to compile properly after doing a fresh update
of Turbine. I've attached the document and I'd be glad of any comments (its in
unwrapped DOS format - let me know if this is a pain).

My current problem is that javac can't find the javax.xml.transform packages.
Can someone enlighten me as to which jar these should be in? I seem to remember
there being some discussion of xml libraries clashing on the classpath but I
can't find it in the archive.

colm
colm mccartan
panasonic owl uk
colmm@owl.co.uk
(44) 131 561 1035

Re: ? signs in emails

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 6/13/01 11:01 AM, "Gareth Coltman" <ga...@majorband.co.uk>
wrote:

> Can you please help!!!
>
> I am trying to send an email using the SimpleEmail which contains ? (UK pound)
> signs. Whatever I try (including setCharset with a
> host of different charsets) it appears in my outlook client as a ? (question
> mark). (The reason I am putting things in brackets is
> because of my distrust of char encoding!)
>
> Has anyone done this before?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

There was something posted the other day about using HtmlEmail
instead because the seCharset doesn't seem to be obeyed
in SimpleEmail. Please give the archives a shot before posting
to the list.

http://www.mail-archive.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?method=and&format=short&config=
turbine-user_jakarta_apache_org&restrict=&exclude=&words=SimpleEmail

> Gareth

jvz.

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

? signs in emails

Re: Turbine under JBuilder (was: building turbine sources)

Posted by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at>.
Colm McCartan wrote:

> My current problem is that javac can't find the javax.xml.transform packages.
> Can someone enlighten me as to which jar these should be in? I seem to remember
> there being some discussion of xml libraries clashing on the classpath but I
> can't find it in the archive.

you can find it in xalan.jar

templates/sql/base/mssql/*.vm fix

Posted by Finn Smith <fs...@nntllc.com>.
> On 6/13/01 10:29 AM, "Jeb Boniakowski" <jb...@nntllc.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to set up Turbine to work with MSSQL Server 7.  I think I'm
> > having the same problem Hervé Guidetti posted about on Jun 6 when using
> > Postgres, according to the archives.  ant gives up trying to do target
> > "project-sql" because an exception was thrown that looks like this:
> >
> >> /.../build.xml:152: Exception thrown by
> >> 'generator.parse'. For more information consult the velocity log.
> >
> > ....and so on
> >
> > and velocity.log looks like this:
> >
> >> Wed...[error] Method chop threw exception for reference $strings in
> > template >sql/base/mssql/table.vm at  [14,26]
> >> Wed...[error] Method parse threw exception for reference
> >> $generator in template sql/base/Control.vm at  [17,17]
> >
> > Hervé was using 2.1b4, I'm using 2.1.  Jason van Zyl said that this
error
> > was due to a problem with postgres' table.vm, but that Eric Dobbs had
> > checked in a fix and that it was fixed in 2.1.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there could be a similar problem with mssql's
table.vm?
> > Or have any other ideas what is causing this to happen?
>
> If you know MSSQL than you can probably tell us. Here's a link to the
> torque templates that are in CVS. If there are problems with them
> let us know.

http://jakarta.apache.org/cvsweb/index.cgi/jakarta-turbine/conf/torque/templ
ates/sql/base/mssql/

After a lot of reading I:
(a) know a lot more about ant, torque, texen and velocity
(b) found the error in the template files that is causing this crash

Here's the diff of mssql/unique.vm to fix the problem <g>:
3a4

Explanation:
line 11 of mssql/table.vm stores the string in the $unique variable:

    #set ( $unique = $generator.parse("$basepath/unique.vm", "", "table",
$tbl) )

line 14 of mssql/table.vm then takes that string, if it's empty it ignores
it, if not it chops off the trailing comma & space:

    #if($unique.length()>0)$strings.chop($unique,2)#end

mssql/unique.vm has only three lines of code:

#foreach ($unique in $table.Unices)
    UNIQUE ($unique.ColumnList),
#end

if there are no elements in $table.Unices when unique.vm is parsed at line
11 of mssql/table.vm the expectation is that it will evaluate to an empty
string. However, due to the fact that there is a blank line after the
#foreach ... #end loop in mssql/unique.vm it evaluates to a one character
string. Then when the check is performed in line 14 of mssql/table.vm the
length is greater than 0, but causes an array out of bounds exception when
chop tries to take 2 characters off the end.

Changing 0 to 1 and 2 to 3 in line 14 of mssql/table.vm fixes this as well,
but just deleting the extra line in mssql/unique.vm keeps the comparison
code in line 14 consistent with other *.vm files. It seems to me, however,
that there are several other places in the *.vm files where these types of
comparisons (if length > 0 then chop two chars) occur and that having some
sort of check and error message for the length == 1 case would be a good
idea. I don't really know Velocity. Maybe someone else would know the best
way to implement this.

It would also be nice if the build.properties file listed mssql as a choice
for the database variable. As it stands, it's not mentioned in the comments
and you have to sift through and understand the directory structure to
realize you can use it.

Should I be posting this to turbine-dev in the hopes that some committer can
change the mssql/unique.vm file and make the if statements more rigorous in
the entire templates/sql/base/*/*.vm tree?

-Finn

Re: problems with postgresql/table.vm mentioned before, tdk+mssql

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeb Boniakowski <jb...@nntllc.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 6/13/01 6:17 AM, "Colm McCartan" <co...@owl.co.uk> wrote:

> My current problem is that javac can't find the javax.xml.transform packages.
> Can someone enlighten me as to which jar these should be in? I seem to
> remember
> there being some discussion of xml libraries clashing on the classpath but I
> can't find it in the archive.
>
> colm

You need to do a cvs update in the jakarta-turbine/lib directory.

-jon

--
"Open source is not available to commercial companies."
            -Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft