Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/03 07:29:55 UTC

[classlib]Harmony classlib with J9 VM passes all the tests provided by JUnit4.1

Hi, all
     I have just tested JUnit4.1 on Harmony.
     With J9 VM, harmony passes both on windows xp2 and redhat enterprise
4.0. While drlvm fails on linux, which fails to create new thread becauseof
out-of-memory-error. Since it can always be reproduced, I think actually
system doesnot lack memory at the time. So I reported it as an
application-oriented bugs as JIRA [1].
     Besides I have got the time used in these tests which shows there is
space for us to improve our performance.

VM

Windows xp2

      Redhat Enterprise4

RI

0.985+0.921

      0.75+0.717

J9

4.25+2.61

      2.888+2.897

drlvm

8.437+5.359

            /

*The former data represents the time to run junit.tests.AllTests The latter,
junit.samples.AllTests.
    For detailed information, including how to run tests, I have posted it
on Harmony wiki[2].

[1]http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2060
[2]http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/JUnit
--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib]Harmony classlib with J9 VM passes all the tests provided by JUnit4.1

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Leo Li wrote:
> They are the total test run times and I really feel that harmony launches
> slower than RI. It is the most abvious difference not only from the above
> result.
> I have once tested the performance about net and the result ensures me that
> harmony performances almost as good as RI although the test I run cannot be
> said a formal performance test.:)

Nice work. Yes, I've noticed that we do launch slower than the RI. I
figure that's an optimization somewhere down the road...

geir

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
 Oh...
 I will try it on another machine on next Monday.
 Actually these days I have encountered several similar problems on linux
that can be produce on one machine but not another. Both are related with
thread/process creation and memory...

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Leo,

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 11/7/06, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Beyer wrote:

> >> Nothing but a joke:). I mean, the TestNG depends on j.u.c, so that it
> >> cannot be used for months, so people may think let's just use JUnit
> >> instead...
> >>
> >> Ignore it, I'm all for TestNG...:)
> >
> > If you're looking for another opinion, I'm not convinced. JUnit 4.x
> > seems just as capable as TestNG.
> There was a(or several?) long long thread discussing the TestNG/JUnit 4
> comparison, and IIRC most people prefer TestNG at that time, I just
> don't want to trig another thread on this topic...We have waited so long
> for TestNG, so let's just go for it if nothing is preventing us now...:)

This is NOT the impression I got from the various threads. I was under
the impression that we were waiting to demonstrate that TestNG could
be used to execute tests with the various mix-n-match uses cases (OS,
failing, etc). I was waiting for an actual demonstration of the
complex use cases.

It's possible I missed the consensus; I couldn't keep up with all of
the threads.

-Nathan

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

--
Paulex Yang

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
> If you're looking for another opinion, I'm not convinced. JUnit 4.x
> seems just as capable as TestNG.

IIRC JUnit 4.x doesn't have the rich set of grouping annotations
TestNG has. Moreover (again IIRC), JUnit doesn't have it at all. Only
TestSuites.

Thanks,

2006/11/7, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>:
> On 11/6/06, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> > > I don't understand - what do you mean?
> > Nothing but a joke:). I mean, the TestNG depends on j.u.c, so that it
> > cannot be used for months, so people may think let's just use JUnit
> > instead...
> >
> > Ignore it, I'm all for TestNG...:)
>
> If you're looking for another opinion, I'm not convinced. JUnit 4.x
> seems just as capable as TestNG.

--
Alexei Zakharov,

Re: [classlib]Harmony classlib with J9 VM passes all the tests provided by JUnit4.1

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [classlib] [suncompat] completion (was; Re: [classlib]Harmony classlib with J9 VM passes all the tests provided by JUnit4.1)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Tim Ellison wrote:
>>
>> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>> > I just looked at the changes you made and have a question about this
>> > snippet.
>> >
>> > +        if (VM.callerClassLoader() != null) {
>> > +            throw new SecurityException("Unsafe");
>> > +        }
>> >
>> > I just want to understand what this actually means. If the
>> > 'callerClassLoader' is null, then the caller is the bootstrap class
>> > loader, correct? Assuming that's correct, we're asserting that only
>> > classes in the bootstrap class loader can call Unsafe, correct?
>>
>> Exactly, we are saying that only 'system' code (i.e. that on the
>> bootclasspath) can get an instance of Unsafe because of the inherent
>> dangers in the Unsafe APIs.  It is then the responsibility of such
>> system code not to release the instance of Unsafe to application code.
>
> IMO, if this piece of code may cause questions then it makes sense to add
> comments above to the code. Just to avoid similar questions in future.

Sheesh, you'll be asking me to log violations next ;-)

You make a good point.  Done in r472443.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Posted by Stepan Mishura <st...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/06, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Nathan Beyer wrote:
> > I just looked at the changes you made and have a question about this
> > snippet.
> >
> > +        if (VM.callerClassLoader() != null) {
> > +            throw new SecurityException("Unsafe");
> > +        }
> >
> > I just want to understand what this actually means. If the
> > 'callerClassLoader' is null, then the caller is the bootstrap class
> > loader, correct? Assuming that's correct, we're asserting that only
> > classes in the bootstrap class loader can call Unsafe, correct?
>
> Exactly, we are saying that only 'system' code (i.e. that on the
> bootclasspath) can get an instance of Unsafe because of the inherent
> dangers in the Unsafe APIs.  It is then the responsibility of such
> system code not to release the instance of Unsafe to application code.

IMO, if this piece of code may cause questions then it makes sense to add
comments above to the code. Just to avoid similar questions in future.

Thanks,
Stepan.

Regards,
> Tim
>
> --
>
> Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
> IBM Java technology centre, UK.

--
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
I just looked at the changes you made and have a question about this snippet.

+        if (VM.callerClassLoader() != null) {
+            throw new SecurityException("Unsafe");
+        }

I just want to understand what this actually means. If the
'callerClassLoader' is null, then the caller is the bootstrap class
loader, correct? Assuming that's correct, we're asserting that only
classes in the bootstrap class loader can call Unsafe, correct?

thanks
-Nathan

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Paulex Yang wrote:
> Richard Liang wrote:

>>> long for

>>> that it

>>> I believe we're down to agreeing to the Objects/Threads classes [1] in
>>> luni-kernel and getting them implemented in DRLVM and the donated IBM
>>> VM. I believe the Unsafe class needs to be re-implemented with these
>>> interfaces, but that may already be done.
>>
>> Yes, I just run testNG successfully by appending suncompat.jar and
>> luni-kernel-stubs.jar to bootclasspath ;-)
> So you mean we can start the TestNG migration work at any time?
No for current IBM VME; Maybe yes for drlvm (I will try it today ;-) )

--
Richard Liang

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

--
Paulex Yang

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

Richard Liang wrote:

> Richard Liang wrote:
>>

>> Tim Ellison wrote:

>>> I'm still confused.  If you are using stubs that do not actually
>>> implement Objects and Threads do you mean that we need Unsafe for
>>> TestNG
>>> but it doesn't actually use it?  I feel that I'm missing something
>>> here.
>>>
>> Maybe it's true that Unsafe is not actually used because I only tried
>> the simplest test scenario which does not use "parallel running" ;-)
>>
> And yes, when I  try to run the tests with annotation
> "@Test(threadPoolSize = 3, invocationCount = 10,  timeOut = 10000)",
> the tests hang. I guess the reason is that I use the stubs of Objects
> and Threads. ;-)
Update: Same tests pass on RI and Harmony with DRLVM.

Best regards,
Richard

--
Richard Liang

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

--
Richard Liang

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

--
Richard Liang

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

--
Richard Liang

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.

--
Richard Liang
China Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib]Harmony classlib with J9 VM passes all the tests provided by JUnit4.1

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.

--