Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> on 2020/05/31 15:57:22 UTC

Plexus Logging API

Moved from slack per suggestion:

The documentation on logging for Maven seems of two minds:

"Maven uses [Plexus logging API][6] with basic Maven implementation
writing to stdout.
We have reached the decision that SLF4J is the best option for a
logging API: SLF4J has reached a certain level of ubiquity and while
SLF4J may not be perfect, it's the de facto standard and it's
pointless to try and remake another one. There are many
implementations to choose from, including Logback and Log4j2. All the
hard work has been done. All the bridges and funnels for other systems
function well, which allows others to use whatever logging
implementation they like in their components, while still being able
to have integrated logging."

Does this mean we can rip out the Plexus logging API and replace it
with SLF4J? In at least one plugin, the plexus logging API pulls in a
lot of plexus code we wouldn't otherwise need.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
We are talking about Maven Core and package org.codehaus.plexus.logging.
right?
If I understand correctly the current dependency tree - it's imported and
used from org.eclipse.sisu:org.eclipse.sisu.plexus artifact

In general +1 to move all internal Logger instances to from Plexus to SLF4J

S.

niedz., 31 maj 2020 o 19:41 Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le lun. 1 juin 2020 à 13:39, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> a
écrit :

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > So overall: +1 to clean up any internal from plexus but we should keep in
> > mind we must not expose SLF4J in *plugins* - once again it sounds like 2
> > topics even if it could be a single one to unify the logging in the whole
> > maven project.
> >

> Can you elaborate on what you mean by "expose"? No SLF4J types in
> public APIs? No transitive dependencies on SLF4J?

No promoted SLF4J package in the public API.

> So far what I'm gathering is that we should move away from Plexus
> logging toward SLF4J.

I agree but it impacts mojos (
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/9567da2bc889a94f5c3b692b4afb310ddbacd6e5/maven-plugin-api/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/monitor/logging/DefaultLog.java)
but it is already backed by slf4j so guess while API is not broken nor
changes it is good to me.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le dim. 31 mai 2020 à 23:26, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> We made a community decision years ago to support slf4j. It's not helpful
> to cast aspersions on it. If someone wants to lead an effort to supplant
> that with log4j now that it's alive again, or even jul (please, no),
> someone can start that process. Until then, using slf4j in an plugin is an
> approved and reasonable decision, I think.

I don't think so, most plugins don't respect that. Maybe it got discussed
and approved years ago but it hasn't been done nor ack by the users AFAIK.
And I think it would be a pain cause then we can't fix all the bugs we have
with SLF4J currently due to its binding/SPI design - guess we must enhance
our own binding anyway to support to ignore itself to use a user provided
one?

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

<rm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> True but JUL is also there since more time, no?
>
> More seriously I think most plugins stick to getLog and bridge the output
> cause otherwise the behavior is often undefined depending the stack.
>
> For ex, exec:java maven plugin generally breaks slf4j binding, so most impl
> caring of logs (:run) just forward it to the secured api which is Log.
>
> If we want to discuss plugin logging api i think we need another thread but
> i wouldnt pick slf4j.
>
> Le dim. 31 mai 2020 à 21:35, Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
> > Just note - we already have SLF4J API from Maven 3.1 [1] available for all
> > plugins since 2013.
> >
> > Sylwester
> > [1] http://maven.apache.org/maven-logging.html
> >

> > niedz., 31 maj 2020 o 20:49 Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com> napisał(a):
> >
> > > I like slf4j.
> > > But slf4j can cause dependency hell as it really lack something
> > > named backward compatibility.
> > > I met that thing in one of my repo.
> > > Really bad experience for me.
> > >
> > > Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> 于2020年6月1日周一 上午2:35写道:

> > want
> > > (needed
> > huge
> > > keep

> > facade
> > like
> > > debate

> > is
> > > still
> > third

> > in
> > > current

> > logging
> > chamge

> > for
> > and
> > > All
> > other
> > being

> > > replace
> > > pulls

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
niedz., 31 maj 2020 o 21:41 Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
napisał(a):

> True but JUL is also there since more time, no?

 I meant that the SLF4J API is delivered with the Maven 3.1 installation

> More seriously I think most plugins stick to getLog and bridge the output
> cause otherwise the behavior is often undefined depending the stack.
>
> For ex, exec:java maven plugin generally breaks slf4j binding, so most impl
> caring of logs (:run) just forward it to the secured api which is Log.
>
> If we want to discuss plugin logging api i think we need another thread but
> i wouldnt pick slf4j.

We already have org.apache.maven.plugin.AbstractMojo#getLog that
returns org.apache.maven.plugin.logging.Log
In Core, we inject SLF4J based implementation of Plexus
org.codehaus.plexus.logging.Logger
interface  [1].
So getLog() for plugins will stay in Maven "forever" and same with existing
availability o SLF4J API.

We are currently planning to raise the requirements for our plugins to
require Maven 3.1 so that they can also be used with SLF4J. Dropping Plexus
logging in Core is the next step to unify internal logging.
[1]
https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/master/maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugin/internal/DefaultMavenPluginManager.java#L571-L575

Sylwester

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Xeno Amess <xe...@gmail.com>.
I like slf4j.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Some pro's and cons:

wrote:

> If it does not break mojos (thinking to getLog API) +1 from me, otherwise I
> would be -1 until a compatibility module is properly added to the distro.
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau | Blog
> | Old Blog
> | Github |
> LinkedIn | Book
>

> Le dim. 31 mai 2020 à 18:38, Tamás Cservenák a écrit :
>
> > +1 to rip out plexus logging
> >
> > On Sun, May 31, 2020, 17:58 Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Moved from slack per suggestion:
> > >
> > > The documentation on logging for Maven seems of two minds:
> > >
> > > "Maven uses [Plexus logging API][6] with basic Maven implementation
> > > writing to stdout.
> > > We have reached the decision that SLF4J is the best option for a
> > > logging API: SLF4J has reached a certain level of ubiquity and while
> > > SLF4J may not be perfect, it's the de facto standard and it's
> > > pointless to try and remake another one. There are many
> > > implementations to choose from, including Logback and Log4j2. All the
> > > hard work has been done. All the bridges and funnels for other systems
> > > function well, which allows others to use whatever logging
> > > implementation they like in their components, while still being able
> > > to have integrated logging."
> > >
> > > Does this mean we can rip out the Plexus logging API and replace it
> > > with SLF4J? In at least one plugin, the plexus logging API pulls in a
> > > lot of plexus code we wouldn't otherwise need.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > > elharo@ibiblio.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Plexus Logging API

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

<rm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it does not break mojos (thinking to getLog API) +1 from me, otherwise I
> would be -1 until a compatibility module is properly added to the distro.
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
>

> Le dim. 31 mai 2020 à 18:38, Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net> a écrit :
>
> > +1 to rip out plexus logging
> >
> > On Sun, May 31, 2020, 17:58 Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Moved from slack per suggestion:
> > >
> > > The documentation on logging for Maven seems of two minds:
> > >
> > > "Maven uses [Plexus logging API][6] with basic Maven implementation
> > > writing to stdout.
> > > We have reached the decision that SLF4J is the best option for a
> > > logging API: SLF4J has reached a certain level of ubiquity and while
> > > SLF4J may not be perfect, it's the de facto standard and it's
> > > pointless to try and remake another one. There are many
> > > implementations to choose from, including Logback and Log4j2. All the
> > > hard work has been done. All the bridges and funnels for other systems
> > > function well, which allows others to use whatever logging
> > > implementation they like in their components, while still being able
> > > to have integrated logging."
> > >
> > > Does this mean we can rip out the Plexus logging API and replace it
> > > with SLF4J? In at least one plugin, the plexus logging API pulls in a
> > > lot of plexus code we wouldn't otherwise need.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > > elharo@ibiblio.org

Elliotte Rusty Harold