Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tim Koop <ti...@timkoop.com> on 2011/06/29 18:35:21 UTC

Re: SessionState problems with a String type

I'm replying to this somewhat old thread just to say that I have found
the problem.

The problem was that I had stored something as a SessionState Object
(SSO), then I forwarded the user to another website to do some
authentication which forwarded the user back to my site.  But when the
user came back to me site, the SSO was null.  Correction:  it was
/sometimes/ null.  Sometimes it worked fine.

Why was that?  After much scratching of my head I found the answer, and
it was a very simple answer.  The URL of the site I was originally on
didn't have the "www." in front of it.  But when the authenticating site
forwarded the user back to my site, it used the URL with "www." in
front, thus causing it to be a different site with different cookies,
thus a different session id, and thus different SSOs.

Thank you to this great community for good suggestions.

Tim Koop
tim@timkoop.com <ma...@timkoop.com>
www.timkoop.com <http://www.timkoop.com>

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:20:48 -0300, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ha! Good catch, and annoying.
> For anyone who hasn't addressed this, when I'm in apache fronted
> tomcat I use a rewrite rule in apache to make sure everything goes to
> the www. url...
> I suppose you could also do the same thing in a Tapestry request filter.

That's exactly how the old Tapestry URL rewriter API was implemented.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor

Re: SessionState problems with a String type

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ha! Good catch, and annoying.