Posted to user@synapse.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@apache.org> on 2007/12/18 06:02:01 UTC

EMail mediator configuration

Hi all,

I have implemented an EMail mediator with the following configuration. (For
the moment that configuration contains the username and the password in
plain text)

<sendMail>
 <protocol host="string" port="int"/>
 <authentication user="string" password="string"/>
 <recipient type=("to"|"cc"|"bcc") address="string" personalName="String"/>
 <from address="string" personalName="string"/>
 <replyTo address="string" personalName="string"/>
 <header name="string" value="string" expression="xpath"/>
 <subject text="string" expression="xpath"/>
 <attachment src="uri" expression="xpath"/>
</sendMail>

Please note that this is not a transport, but it is just a mediator.
Thoughts on storing username and password in a more secure way.

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton

Re: EMail mediator configuration

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Ruwan

>     > <sendMail>
>     >  <protocol host="string" port="int"/>
>
>     What does "protocol" mean here??
>

> I think I misused the word protocol in here. I couldn't find a better
> name to specify the mail server host address and the port pair. Do you
> have any more meaningful suggestions for the name of this tag?
How about <smtp host="xx" port="xx"/> ?

asankha

Re: EMail mediator configuration

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Ruwan

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 to both these (smtp tag, and not adding the personal name as an
attribute but using the standard format instead).

Paul

On Dec 21, 2007 10:04 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Ruwan Linton wrote:
> > I think I misused the word protocol in here. I couldn't find a better
> > name to specify the mail server host address and the port pair. Do you
> >  have any more meaningful suggestions for the name of this tag?
>
> +1 to Asankha's suggestion of <smtp server="" [port=""]/> (port defaults
> to 25.
>
> > Well, we can support both, I was trying to stick to the javax.mail API.
> >  We can change the recipient tag to the specific types, I thought this
> > is convenient.
>
> Sorry; both is a bad idea- just keep stuff simple and have exactly one way
> to do stuff. Both means user complexity and complexity for us to maintain
> and document two ways to do the same thing with little ROI.
>

> Sanjiva.
> --
> Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.
> Founder & Director; Lanka Software Foundation; http://www.opensource.lk/
> Founder, Chairman & CEO; WSO2, Inc.; http://www.wso2.com/

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: EMail mediator configuration

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

Please see my comments inline,

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Ruwan Linton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have implemented an EMail mediator with the following configuration.
> (For the moment that configuration contains the username and the
> password in plain text)
>
> <sendMail>
>  <protocol host="string" port="int"/>

What does "protocol" mean here??

>  <authentication user="string" password="string"/>
>  <recipient type=("to"|"cc"|"bcc") address="string" personalName="String"/>

IMO this should be <to address=""/>, <cc address=""/> etc..

Also, there's no need to have personalName anywhere- there's a standard
format to type an address that contains a personal name:
	"Personal Name <pe...@example.com>""

>  <from address="string" personalName="string"/>
>  <replyTo address="string" personalName="string"/>
>  <header name="string" value="string" expression="xpath"/>
>  <subject text="string" expression="xpath"/>
>  <attachment src="uri" expression="xpath"/>
> </sendMail>

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: EMail mediator configuration

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I have not committed the code for the EMail mediator because now there is a
proper mail transport developed by Asankha in synapse transports which can
be used to achieve all the requirements that we came across through the
synapse lists.

Please have a look at the synapse documentation for the 1.1.1 release and
the synapse_sample_256 for more information on the mail transport. If you
need any help on getting any thing to work with this new mail transport
please let me know....

Basically you can change any of the headers of the mail being send by
setting properties at the transport scope with names of the mail headers,
using the property mediator before calling the send mediator with the
address specified as mailto:xxx@yyy.com. Also, you can receive the SOAP/POX
messages through emails in to synapse as web service requests in the mail
body or as a MIME attachment.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

Posted by Eric Nygma <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ruwan,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Ruwan Linton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have implemented an EMail mediator with the following configuration.
> (For the moment that configuration contains the username and the
> password in plain text)
>
> <sendMail>
>  <protocol host="string" port="int"/>

What does "protocol" mean here??

>  <authentication user="string" password="string"/>
>  <recipient type=("to"|"cc"|"bcc") address="string" personalName="String"/>

IMO this should be <to address=""/>, <cc address=""/> etc..

Also, there's no need to have personalName anywhere- there's a standard
format to type an address that contains a personal name:
	"Personal Name <pe...@example.com>""

>  <from address="string" personalName="string"/>
>  <replyTo address="string" personalName="string"/>
>  <header name="string" value="string" expression="xpath"/>
>  <subject text="string" expression="xpath"/>
>  <attachment src="uri" expression="xpath"/>
> </sendMail>

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: EMail mediator configuration

Posted by Eric Nygma <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ruwan,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
As for improving the password safety here are two points:

1) unless the system has a secure registry or hardware store for passwords,
it is very hard to make them secure. So sometimes its better to have it
inline in the config - it reminds the sysadmin he has to keep the config
safe! I've seen arrangements where the system uses a way of masking
passwords, with the result that someone publishes an exploit on how to
unmask them. The exploit is really based on the fact that people assume the
masked password is safe when it isn't.

2) if we are going to do something in addition, then the right thing to do
is use the same PWCallbackHandler interface that Rampart uses. This is a
standard Java interface and if we use the same interface then we can re-use
PW handlers from Rampart.

Paul

On Dec 18, 2007 11:10 AM, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Ruwan
> > <sendMail>
> >  <protocol host="string" port="int"/>
> >  <authentication user="string" password="string"/>
> >  <recipient type=("to"|"cc"|"bcc") address="string"
> > personalName="String"/>
> >  <from address="string" personalName="string"/>
> >  <replyTo address="string" personalName="string"/>
> >  <header name="string" value="string" expression="xpath"/>
> >  <subject text="string" expression="xpath"/>
> >  <attachment src="uri" expression="xpath"/>
> > </sendMail>
> Sounds cool.. some suggestions/observations..
> 1. I assume one can specify multiple <recipient ..>* elements to specify
> to, cc, bcc etc.
> 2. Would be cool to someday allow one to pick the body or attachment
> from the registry
> 3. Would be even better to let one substitute body variables.. e.g. body
> is picked up from the registry and contains ${param1} etc within the
> text, and the engine will replace these with an XPath expression or
> value etc to compose the actual body..
>
> asankha

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: EMail mediator configuration

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Asankha,

On Dec 18, 2007 4:40 PM, Asankha C. Perera <as...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Ruwan
> > <sendMail>
> >  <protocol host="string" port="int"/>
> >  <authentication user="string" password="string"/>
> >  <recipient type=("to"|"cc"|"bcc") address="string"
> > personalName="String"/>
> >  <from address="string" personalName="string"/>
> >  <replyTo address="string" personalName="string"/>
> >  <header name="string" value="string" expression="xpath"/>
> >  <subject text="string" expression="xpath"/>
> >  <attachment src="uri" expression="xpath"/>
> > </sendMail>
> Sounds cool.. some suggestions/observations..
> 1. I assume one can specify multiple <recipient ..>* elements to specify
> to, cc, bcc etc.

yes, certainly.

> 2. Would be cool to someday allow one to pick the body or attachment
> from the registry

will add the optional key attribute to the body. :)

> 3. Would be even better to let one substitute body variables.. e.g. body
> is picked up from the registry and contains ${param1} etc within the
> text, and the engine will replace these with an XPath expression or
> value etc to compose the actual body..

Will try to do this, we can initially finish up the basic body content and I
will update it to cater these kinds of concatenation scenarios.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Ruwan