Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Alice K <al...@hotmail.com> on 2003/02/06 18:24:07 UTC

help: Email sent from James was treated as Spam

Could anyone see what caused the problems. Emails sent by James was blocked
by http://spamblock.outblaze.com.

See the message blow.

You help would be greately appreciated.

Alice

-----------------------
Hi. This is the James mail server at dell.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. Below I
include the list of recipients and the reason why I was unable to deliver
your message.

maycm@mail.com
553 5.3.0 EMail from mailserver at My.IP.Address is refused. See
http://spamblock.outblaze.com/My.IP.Address

http://spamblock.outblaze.com/

my.ip.address Found. DSS-HELO

Explanatory Note :

Hello

Your IP has been blocked because it sent mail to us using a suspicious HELO
string.

HELO is an SMTP command with which one mailserver identifies itself to
another.

Some spammers, in order to forge headers, issue forged HELOs like HELO
mail.com, HELO yahoo.com etc. However, actual mail from mail.com or
yahoo.com will not have such a HELO string - it comes with a quite different
HELO.

If an IP sends us mail with suspect HELOs like this, it gets blocked till
such time as this is fixed.

Please have your mail systems admin resolve this issue and let me know when
this is resolved.

regards
postmaster

RE: help: Email sent from James was treated as Spam

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Alice,

Apparently you edited out all of the important information, such as your
server name and IP address.

My guess is that they are looking at the server name provided with the HELO,
then doing a DNS lookup and checking for a match.  If it doesn't match, you
get blocked.

	--- Noel