Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/16 14:39:12 UTC

Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

I am trying to update my Homebrew and it looks like it wants to move me
from SVN 1.10 to 1.11 but it is failing.  I do not recall even asking it to
install the Ruby bindings but perhaps I did once. I thought I just had
--with-java since I do need JavaHL.  Any ideas?

==> make swig-rb EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
Last 15 lines from /Users/xxxx/Library/Logs/Homebrew/subversion/14.make:
2019-01-16 09:36:12 -0500

make
swig-rb
EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib

/bin/sh
"/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/libtool"
--tag=CC --silent --mode=compile none  -I/usr/local/opt/sqlite/include
-I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include
-I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include -F/usr/local/Frameworks -isysroot
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk  -DDARWIN
-DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -DDARWIN_10
 -I/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/libsvn_swig_ruby
-prefer-pic -c -o subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.lo
subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.c
/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/libtool:
line 1760: none: command not found
make: *** [subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.lo] Error 1

I do not need these so ideas could include telling me how to reconfigure my
install so that it does not try to build these.  I only need the SVN
command line and JavaHL.  Do not care about any other language bindings.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 16.01.2019 20:10, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 16.01.2019 15:39, Mark Phippard wrote:
>> I am trying to update my Homebrew and it looks like it wants to move
>> me from SVN 1.10 to 1.11 but it is failing.  I do not recall even
>> asking it to install the Ruby bindings but perhaps I did once. I
>> thought I just had --with-java since I do need JavaHL.  Any ideas?
>>
>> ==> make swig-rb EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
>> Last 15 lines from /Users/xxxx/Library/Logs/Homebrew/subversion/14.make:
>> 2019-01-16 09:36:12 -0500
>>
>> make
>> swig-rb
>> EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
>>
>> /bin/sh
>> "/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/libtool"
>> --tag=CC --silent --mode=compile none  -I/usr/local/opt/sqlite/include
>> -I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include
>> -I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include -F/usr/local/Frameworks -isysroot
>> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk  -DDARWIN
>> -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -DDARWIN_10
>>  -I/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/libsvn_swig_ruby
>> -prefer-pic -c -o subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.lo
>> subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.c
>> /private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/libtool:
>> line 1760: none: command not found
>> make: *** [subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.lo] Error 1
>>

>> I do not need these so ideas could include telling me how to
>> reconfigure my install so that it does not try to build these.  I only
>> need the SVN command line and JavaHL.  Do not care about any other
>> language bindings.
>
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/33530

TL;DR: Apple messed up royally with Xcode 10 and its command-line tools.

-- Brane

Re: Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 25.01.2019 13:11, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 25.01.2019 12:28, Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> Java is not installed by default on macOS.
>> Yes, but so what?  All this option would do is add the .dylib and JAR to the bottle and spit out a message telling you to create a symlink if you want to use it.  None of this would matter if you do not use Java.  It is just a library.  It actually seems easier than is the case for the Python and Ruby bindings.
>
> My only suggestion is to take this up with the Homebrew maintainers ...
> I don't pretend to understand the decisions they make.

Duh.

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/31510

You're right, it'd be best to restore the JavaHL build and make it
always available, + document usage.

-- Brane

Re: Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
> On Jan 25, 2019, at 6:26 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 25.01.2019 12:20, Mark Phippard wrote:
>>> AFAIK it does install from a bottle, but --with-javahl forces a build
>>> from source (all other bindings are bottled). You could request an
>>> improvement from the Homebrew folks, they're moderately responsive.
>>
>> Apparently JavaHL has now been removed from the package:
>>
>> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/36217
>>
>> I have not submitted a PR to them before. Would you be willing to put
>> one together that adds the JavaHL library back to the build without
>> the option?  If you do not have time, I will take a crack later today.
>>
>> I do not see any reason that JavaHL could not just be part of the
>> package. There is nothing especially difficult about distributing it.
>
> Java is not installed by default on macOS.

Yes, but so what?  All this option would do is add the .dylib and JAR to the bottle and spit out a message telling you to create a symlink if you want to use it.  None of this would matter if you do not use Java.  It is just a library.  It actually seems easier than is the case for the Python and Ruby bindings.

Mark

Re: Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 17.01.2019 21:35, Mark Phippard wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 7:04 AM Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 16.01.2019 21:51, Mark Phippard wrote:
>>     On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 2:54 PM Mark Phippard <markphip@gmail.com
>>     <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 2:10 PM Branko Čibej
>>         <brane@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>>
>>             On 16.01.2019 15:39, Mark Phippard wrote:
>>             > I am trying to update my Homebrew and it looks like it
>>             wants to move
>>             > me from SVN 1.10 to 1.11 but it is failing.  I do not
>>             recall even
>>             > asking it to install the Ruby bindings but perhaps I
>>             did once. I
>>             > thought I just had --with-java since I do need JavaHL.
>>             Any ideas?

[... elided some history ...]

>     The only thing I can suggest is that you install Xcode whether you
>     use it or not. I never use it but I do install it and run it every
>     now and then to install updates.
>

> Thanks, I gave this a try today, unfortunately it still fails.
>
> Is this a valid (and quicker) way to check my dev environment before
> trying to do the full build?
>
> /usr/bin/ruby -r mkmf -e 'exit(have_func("rb_hash_foreach") ? 0 : 1)'

As far as I know, yes, it is.

> Because this still gives the same error about the developer tools not
> being installed.  A Google search led me to this which looked promising:
>
> https://blog.driftingruby.com/updated-to-mojave/
>
> But unfortunately it wasn't. I even tried following a link in the
> comments to re-download the command line tools and that did not help
> either.  I will just go back to editing the subversion.rb for now.

I tried all of those suggestions, when I saw this problem in High
Sierra. Then I upgraded to Mojave (after the last Xcode update) and the
issue went away. I don't understand what's going on.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 7:04 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> patching file build/get-py-info.py
> ==> Downloading https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi?path=serf/serf-1.3.9.tar.bz2
> ==> Downloading from https://www.apache.si/serf/serf-1.3.9.tar.bz2
> ######################################################################## 100.0%
> Warning: Calling scons is deprecated! Use system "scons" instead.
> Please report this to the homebrew/core tap, or even better, submit a PR to fix it:
>   /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-core/Formula/subversion.rb:79
>
> ==> /usr/local/opt/scons/bin/scons PREFIX=/usr/local/Cellar/subversion/1.11.1/libexec/serf GSSAPI=/usr CC=/usr/bin/clang CFLAGS=-Os
> ==> scons install
> ==> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/subversion/1.11.1 --enable-optimize --disable-mod-activation --disable-plaintext-password
> ==> make
> ==> make install
> ==> make tools
> ==> make install-tools
> ==> make swig-py
> ==> make install-swig-py
> ==> make swig-pl
> ==> make install-swig-pl
> ==> make javahl
> ==> make install-javahl
> ==> make swig-rb EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
> ==> make install-swig-rb
> ==> Caveats
> svntools have been installed to:
>   /usr/local/opt/subversion/libexec
>
> The perl bindings are located in various subdirectories of:
>   /usr/local/opt/subversion/lib/perl5
>
> If you wish to use the Ruby bindings you may need to add:
>   /usr/local/lib/ruby
> to your RUBYLIB.
>
> You may need to link the Java bindings into the Java Extensions folder:
>   sudo mkdir -p /Library/Java/Extensions
>   sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libsvnjavahl-1.dylib /Library/Java/Extensions/libsvnjavahl-1.dylib
>
> Bash completion has been installed to:
>   /usr/local/etc/bash_completion.d
> ==> Summary
> 🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/subversion/1.11.1: 279 files, 37.5MB, built in 10 minutes 19 seconds
>

> (Yes, it takes that long because Homebrew forces 'make -j1' for everything
> when it will build JavahL.)
>
> The only thing I can suggest is that you install Xcode whether you use it
> or not. I never use it but I do install it and run it every now and then to
> install updates.

Thanks, I gave this a try today, unfortunately it still fails.

Is this a valid (and quicker) way to check my dev environment before trying
to do the full build?

/usr/bin/ruby -r mkmf -e 'exit(have_func("rb_hash_foreach") ? 0 : 1)'

Because this still gives the same error about the developer tools not being
installed.  A Google search led me to this which looked promising:

https://blog.driftingruby.com/updated-to-mojave/

But unfortunately it wasn't. I even tried following a link in the comments
to re-download the command line tools and that did not help either.  I will
just go back to editing the subversion.rb for now. BTW, do you know why SVN

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 16.01.2019 20:54, Mark Phippard wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 2:10 PM Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 16.01.2019 15:39, Mark Phippard wrote:
>     > I am trying to update my Homebrew and it looks like it wants to move
>     > me from SVN 1.10 to 1.11 but it is failing.  I do not recall even
>     > asking it to install the Ruby bindings but perhaps I did once. I
>     > thought I just had --with-java since I do need JavaHL.  Any ideas?
>     >
>     > ==> make swig-rb EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
>     > Last 15 lines from
>     /Users/xxxx/Library/Logs/Homebrew/subversion/14.make:
>     > 2019-01-16 09:36:12 -0500
>     >
>     > make
>     > swig-rb
>     > EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
>     >
>     > /bin/sh
>     >
>     "/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/libtool"
>     > --tag=CC --silent --mode=compile none
>      -I/usr/local/opt/sqlite/include
>     > -I/usr/local/opt/readline/include -I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include
>     > -I/usr/local/opt/openssl/include -F/usr/local/Frameworks -isysroot
>     > /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk  -DDARWIN
>     > -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -DDARWIN_10
>     >
>      -I/private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/libsvn_swig_ruby
>     > -prefer-pic -c -o subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.lo
>     > subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.c
>     >
>     /private/tmp/subversion-20190116-34242-xgy0wo/subversion-1.11.1/libtool:
>     > line 1760: none: command not found
>     > make: *** [subversion/bindings/swig/ruby/svn_client.lo] Error 1
>     >
>     >
>     > I do not need these so ideas could include telling me how to
>     > reconfigure my install so that it does not try to build these.
>     I only
>     > need the SVN command line and JavaHL.  Do not care about any other
>     > language bindings.
>

>     https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/33530
>

> I am not seeing what the solution was.  The last message seemed to be
> about unsetting SDKROOT but that seemed internal to Brew, not my env.

I was just pointing out that this has been a problem with Homebrew for a
while. One that I don't understand; I build Subversion with no problems
on my laptop, both from our sources and from the Homebrew package, and
also from the macOS buildslave, which has Xcode 10 installed, too.

No, I don't understand what they changed to make their builds suddenly work.

-- Brane

Re: Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Stefan Sperling wrote on Wed, 16 Jan 2019 16:13 +0100:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 09:39:12AM -0500, Mark Phippard wrote:
> > line 1760: none: command not found
>
> Our configure script sets the variables which point to python, ruby,
> or perl to "none" by default. There is faulty logic somewhere in the
> swig bindings build which doesn't detect the non-presence of those binaries
> and still allows an attempt to compile bindings regardless. This should
> be fixed so that the make swig-* targets exit early in this situation.

Isn't that exactly what r1850519 does?

Re: Homebrew SVN 1.11 not working

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 09:39:12AM -0500, Mark Phippard wrote:
> > I am trying to update my Homebrew and it looks like it wants to move me
> > from SVN 1.10 to 1.11 but it is failing.  I do not recall even asking it
> > install the Ruby bindings but perhaps I did once. I thought I just had
> > --with-java since I do need JavaHL.  Any ideas?
> >
> > ==> make swig-rb EXTRA_SWIG_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib
> > Last 15 lines from /Users/xxxx/Library/Logs/Homebrew/subversion/14.make:
> > 2019-01-16 09:36:12 -0500
>
> You will need to somehow modify the homebrew build script to avoid
> calling 'make swig-rb' if ruby is not present. There's no way to
> disable this build step via the configure script, and it is not
> part of the default build target invoked with just 'make'.
>
> > line 1760: none: command not found
>
> Our configure script sets the variables which point to python, ruby,
> or perl to "none" by default. There is faulty logic somewhere in the
> swig bindings build which doesn't detect the non-presence of those binaries
> and still allows an attempt to compile bindings regardless. This should
> be fixed so that the make swig-* targets exit early in this situation.

OK, I am not sure how to proceed.  I have never had a problem installing
SVN via Homebrew before.  Maybe it would be easier for me to try to fix
whatever it is configure does not find here?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.