Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Nigel Hamilton <ni...@e1mail.com> on 2000/07/03 12:16:03 UTC

Perl Registry ... Memory consumption.

Hi,
	I've been trying to setup mod_perl in an Apache/Red Hat
Linux/mySQL environment for the last couple of weeks.

	When running Apache::Registry on production, mod_perl chewed up
all the available memory (at that stage only 64 Meg) and the system
started to use swap memory.

	So we doubled the memory to 128 Meg and over the next 10 minutes
of using the site (having restarted the server) we watched as all the
extra memory was used up and it went back into swap!

	So here are some questions:

1. What is a 'ball-park' figure for mod_perl memory requirements?

2. What is the entry level spec for a mod_perl/Apache/Linux server?

3. Should I reduce the number of Apache child processes (currently 10) ...
to reduce memory consumption?

4. Will mod_perl always ramp up its memory consumption to whatever is
available?

5. Should we throw money at the problem and just buy more memory?

6. I have not been able to get Apache::DBI to work. Will Apache::DBI
significantly reduce memory consumption (every script opens a DB handle
for session checking)?

	Any help, and war stories that you may have would be much
appreciated ...

Nige

Re: Perl Registry ... Memory consumption.

Posted by David Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.

http://perl.apache.org/guide

http://perl.apache.org/guide

> 5. Should we throw money at the problem and just buy more memory?

http://perl.apache.org/guide

> 6. I have not been able to get Apache::DBI to work. Will Apache::DBI
> significantly reduce memory consumption (every script opens a DB handle
> for session checking)?

Put it _first_ in startup.pl.

> 	Any help, and war stories that you may have would be much
> appreciated ...

http://perl.apache.org/guide

;-)

--
Dave Hodgkinson,                             http://www.hodgkinson.org
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

Re: Perl Registry ... Memory consumption.

Posted by Tom Brown <tb...@baremetal.com>.
first off, David Hodgkinson's comments are correct... Stas's guide is very
thorough, and covers pretty much all of this.

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Nigel Hamilton wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I've been trying to setup mod_perl in an Apache/Red Hat
> Linux/mySQL environment for the last couple of weeks.
>
> 	When running Apache::Registry on production, mod_perl chewed up
> all the available memory (at that stage only 64 Meg) and the system
> started to use swap memory.
>
> 	So we doubled the memory to 128 Meg and over the next 10 minutes
> of using the site (having restarted the server) we watched as all the
> extra memory was used up and it went back into swap!
>
> 	So here are some questions:
>
> 1. What is a 'ball-park' figure for mod_perl memory requirements?

There is no such thing. It depends entirely on your application. A client
of ours runs a modperl based sniffer, and that familty of mod_perl httpds
can hardly be told appart from a normal family.... but he only has a few
scripts, and they "don't do much" (log some info and throw out a 47 byte
transparent gif).

on the otherhand, if you application deals with big strings, lots of
database queries (per page), etc... then it will be much more resource
intensive.

> 2. What is the entry level spec for a mod_perl/Apache/Linux server?

depends on your application, but these days I wouldn't even bother staging
a machine with less than 192 meg of RAM.... it is cheap compared to the
cost of having to piss around with your box or buy faster drives.

> 3. Should I reduce the number of Apache child processes (currently 10) ...
> to reduce memory consumption?

you haven't said whether you're using mod_proxy and a front_end/back_end
config (see the guide). You haven't said how many simultaneous hits you
expect...

> 4. Will mod_perl always ramp up its memory consumption to whatever is
> available?

no.

> 5. Should we throw money at the problem and just buy more memory?

As I see it, you have two choices: take the time to figure out what part
of your app is using up memory, or buy more memory...

> 6. I have not been able to get Apache::DBI to work. Will Apache::DBI
> significantly reduce memory consumption (every script opens a DB handle
> for session checking)?

I strongly doubt it. If anything the connection caching is going to cost
you memory... Apache::DBI is intended to save CPU cycles.

> 	Any help, and war stories that you may have would be much
> appreciated ...
>
> Nige
>

> On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Christopher Suarez wrote:
>
> > I'm running rh linux 6.2 on a laptop and have tried for sometime to get
> > apache::DBI runnning.
> >
> > modperl wokrs fine with apache but when I add the line
> >
> > PerlModule Apache::DBI to srm.conf, httpd.conf or "use Apache::DBI" to
> > startup.pl and then PerlRequire /path/startup.pl to httpd.conf it won't
> > work. apache will start ok(saying it's using mod_perl) but won't shut down
> > ok and error_log doesn't
> > say anythings wrong.
> > the webserver won't response on contacting 127.0.0.1 in a browser it'll
> > response connection refused.
> >
> > versions:
> >
> > apache-1.3.12-2
> > apache-devel-1.3.12-2