Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by "Cooper, Andrew" <AC...@cimtek.com> on 2013/01/30 01:25:58 UTC

Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

I've just seen that this is now available

It might be a godsend to track down those pesky 1009, 1010 errors

I just have to get my users to update their flash player ...

Re: Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Does this mean that an app that I compile with the default settings for 4.5.1A will not benefit from this stacktrace availability, even if the user has 11.5 installed?

From my testing that's sadly the case. You could detect the version of the flash player and then load a swf compiled with 11.5 if they are using 11.5. (Assuming your app is in the browser).

Justin

Re: Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
>Just about every new feature is gated by SWF version

So true, just did a test and wasn't able to make it work without compiling
with 11.5 :P

-Fred

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
@Frédéric

Yes, you are right, it's not an API "function". It's more an "internal functionality" of the Flash Player. But I am not sure if you are right. I have tested this for my own and the debug with release player only worked when I compiled against 11.5.

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by David Coleman <da...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Is it not working for FB4?? I have upgrade the SDK.
If you using the 4.5+ SDK it may work in FB4. You may have some luck using the -targetplayer compiler option rather than the -swf-version compiler option in FB4 using an SDK earlier than 4.5. I've not tried either so if someone does feedback here would be good.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

Posted by manish sharma <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Is it not working for FB4?? I have upgrade the SDK.

Regards,

Manish

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Cooper, Andrew" <AC...@cimtek.com>.
I've upgraded to 4.7

Installed the 4.1 SDK (this is what I need to target for now - I had
issues with the 4.5 and 4.6 SDK's that I haven't had time to sort out)

I've installed the playerglobal.swc, modified flex-config.xml

But I still get
Description	Resource	Path	Location	Type
unknown configuration variable 'swf-version'	Lite		line 19
Flex Problem

even though I'm compiling with FB4.7

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Just tried this in FB4.0 and it doesn't compile

Look like the "-swf-version" option was added in FB 4.5 (or rather to the compiler for the Flex SDK that come with FB 4.5). You might be able to get it to work with the "-target-player" option?

Justin

RE: Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Cooper, Andrew" <AC...@cimtek.com>.
One final question on this

Do you need Flash Builder 4.7 for this or will Flash Builder 4.0 be
sufficient

Thanks for all your help with this

Andy

To:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Also in the SVN develop branch of the ide directory there's several scripts that can download the swcs and make the changes for you.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Flash Player 11.5 - Debug trace in release player

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Download the current SDK.

To:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Indeed this is a very nice feature. I was waiting a long time for the feature.

I use a global error handler (UncaughtErrorEvent.UNCAUGHT_ERROR) in my application and send all debug logs to my e-mail. I think it's the best way to find errors in your application.

Posted by Ian Appleby <Ia...@bcs.org>.
> I just have to get my users to update their flash player ...

Yes well, that's the trick isn't it.  I'm still trying to get some of mine
onto 11.x

-Ian