Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/10 01:33:17 UTC

[vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

All,

I have prepared our beta 2 release and uploaded it to my
people.apache.org site [1]

You know the drill: vote if you think this release will is legally
sound and will be approved by the IPMC. I have run 'rat' on the
distribution, and you can see the report in the release directory.

[ ] Yes, release Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta2
[ ] No, hold your horses, I discovered...

Release notes: [2]
Rat report: [3]

Martijn

[1] http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/releases/apache-wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta-2
[2] http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/releases/apache-wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta2/RELEASE_NOTES
[3] http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/releases/apache-wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta2/rat-report.txt

Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!
http://wicketframework.org

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/07, Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail
<fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Man, you know I'm gona preach it. So bring it. And I'll deliver the
> message...

That's good to hear. We're gonna need all the publicity we can get
when we start MEAP[1] in a few weeks. :)

Eelco

[1] http://www.manning.com/about/meap.html

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

Posted by Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <fr...@gmail.com>.
Man, you know I'm gona preach it. So bring it. And I'll deliver the
message...

Alleluya!!

;-)

f(t)

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
we didn't completely decide what the next version number should be i think
but i guess it could be again wicket 2.0 (or 1.4 or 1.5)

I dont think we are going to release a generic version only (compared to 1.3
)
When we release 1.3 i will try to generify as soon as possible (again :( )
the complete source.
And then we can have a first beta (that would be pretty stable because that
one would be 1.3+generics)
so users can use that and then we look what we can do more for that version.

API wise the old 2.0 users could migrate to 1.3 except for generics. I think
we did backport most api changes

johan

AW: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.

Posted by Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail <fr...@gmail.com>.
Come on guys!!!!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Sullivan <se...@seansullivan.com>.
Did the vote pass?

Posted by Sean Sullivan <se...@seansullivan.com>.

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/10/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [1]
> http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/releases/apache-wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

That is of cause:

http://people.apache.org/~dashorst/releases/apache-wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta2

Frank

ps. my comments later today if any. But Noel's discovery is quite important
imo. Weird it hasn't been found yet.

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Given the concern raised by Noel and some other things I noticed, I'm
going to retract this distribution and start a new vote in a couple of
hours.

Martijn

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Nah,

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frank Bille <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 6/10/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As we only link to the file, and I don't want to go around trying to
> find a new, correctly licensed file with good antecedents, I am going
> to disable the explicit inclusion of our dependencies. Only the
> wicket-examples WAR archive will keep the spring, asm, cglib etc
> dependencies, and only packaged with it.
>
> The only way to build Wicket from source from the distribution is
> using maven 2, so the dependencies don't have to be included from a
> build perspective.

+1

Frank

RE: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> the servletapi jar seems a bit out-of-the-blue.

And it evolves, too, e.g., the newest listeners.

	--- Noel

Re: [vote] Release Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-beta-2

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I did some soul searching and of course the servletapi jar seems a bit
out-of-the-blue. The license states it comes from the Jakarta Tomcat
effort, and after some digging it was found on the maven 1 repository:

    http://repo1.maven.org/maven/servletapi/jars/

It seems to be ASL 1.1 licensed and created by Craig McClanahan:

    http://repo1.maven.org/maven/servletapi/licenses/LICENSE

The origin of the file is unknown, as it was created before the well
established new policies of including the license and notice in the
META-INF folder.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 6/10/07, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> What's the deal with
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/wicket/tags/wicket-1.3.0-incubating-b
> eta-2/licenses/log4j-license.txt?revision=545721&view=markup ?

It is a left over from the good old days: 1.2.8 (the first log4j
version we included [1]), while missing in the svn-tags of the logging
project, was ASL 1.1 licensed.

We haven't monitored the licensing change at that time, and just upped
the version number in the project.xml (there's maven for you :-).

The license is not necessary anymore, as we are also an Apache
project, so I figure we can remove it from the license directory.

> Log4J is an ASF project, and we have not permitted new code to go out with
> the old license for years.  I checked pom.xml, and wicket uses Log4J 1.2.13.
> According to http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/logging/log4j/tags/v1_2_13/, that
> is under the current Apache License, not the old one.

Yep, looking at the svn repo, the license for log4j was updated two
years ago. I guess that because log4j comes from the ASF, checking its
license has been overlooked.

Martijn