Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Pill, Juergen" <Ju...@softwareag.com> on 2002/12/16 18:28:42 UTC

Slide Client API uses current Http-Commons API

Hello,

Thanks to Eric Johnson the Slide Client API is now based on the current
Http-Commons API.

The compile "build clean" and "build release" did run on our machine.

There are following possible open points:

1) Bug in Head method, if the server is authenticated [reported to
http_commons]
2) The slide Client API DID change
a. JSR pages may need adaptations too
b. All applications need to be re-compiled
3) Performance: currently 2 calls are sent in case of an authenticating
server

Best regards,

Juergen Pill

P.S. For more technical details please see e-mail from Eric.

Re: Slide Client API uses current Http-Commons API

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.
This is great!  Very happy to be working with you guys on this.

>3) Performance: currently 2 calls are sent in case of an authenticating
>server

Just the first time the realm is hit.  It can be made to send the
authentication header on the first request with the property:
httpclient.authentication.preemptive=true

Would consider a programatic way of doing this if desired.

-jsd

Re: Slide Client API uses current Http-Commons API

Posted by Michael Smith <ms...@xn.com.au>.
Pill, Juergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Eric Johnson the Slide Client API is now based on the current
> Http-Commons API.
>
> The compile "build clean" and "build release" did run on our machine.
>
> There are following possible open points:
>
> 1) Bug in Head method, if the server is authenticated [reported to
> http_commons]
> 2) The slide Client API DID change
> a. JSR pages may need adaptations too
> b. All applications need to be re-compiled
> 3) Performance: currently 2 calls are sent in case of an authenticating
> server

Great! Thanks a lot to both you and Eric for doing this work.

Concerning point 3) - do you mean that 2 calls (HTTP requests) are sent
to the server on _every_ request (rather than just on the first request,
as with the old code)?

Mike

Re: Slide Client API uses current Http-Commons API

Posted by Jeffrey Dever <js...@sympatico.ca>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Pill, Juergen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to Eric Johnson the Slide Client API is now based on the current
> Http-Commons API.
>
> The compile "build clean" and "build release" did run on our machine.
>
> There are following possible open points:
>
> 1) Bug in Head method, if the server is authenticated [reported to
> http_commons]
> 2) The slide Client API DID change
> a. JSR pages may need adaptations too
> b. All applications need to be re-compiled
> 3) Performance: currently 2 calls are sent in case of an authenticating
> server
>
> Best regards,

Great :)
I think that was the last major item blocking a Slide 2.0.0 release, right ?

Changing the API is an unfortunate side effect, but it seemed unavoidable.

Remy