Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2012/08/10 12:38:25 UTC

Oracle won't pull plug on Java SE 6 until 2013 • The Register

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/09/java_se6_gets_second_extension/

EOL for Java6 is set to February 2013.

	Andy

Re: Oracle won't pull plug on Java SE 6 until 2013 • The Register

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 10/08/12 20:12, Stephen Allen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 10/08/12 18:02, Stephen Allen wrote:
>>>
>>> I have dreams of replacing "org.openjena.atlas.lib.Closeable" with
>>> "java.lang.AutoCloseable" (or at least making it a subinterface)...
>>

>> Juno does a lot of resource close checking so your dream may be reality
>> already, but in a different place.
>
> I wanted AutoCloseable mostly for the try-with-resources (I'm tired of
> dealing with finally blocks and irrational scoping on closeable
> objects!)
>

>> When I have a moment, I want to fix on the codebase to be warning clean on
>> Juno (a couple need thinking about).  But only one of my machines is
>> Juno-ised because Juno+Scala needs a special build of ScalaIDE so I got
>> patient.
>>

>>> Does anyone have any thoughts on a timeline for a switch to Java 7?
>>> Do we wait until Jena 3?  (Can't get to JIRA to see if it's mentioned
>>> there)
>>

>> Generally (= pre ASF), Jena has supported the last two releases of Java.
>> EOL-isms only became relevant with Java 1.5.
>>
>> The uptake of Java7 isn't that stunning.
>>
>> This plan is Oracle's intention at the moment - in the recent past, sticking
>> to plans hasn't always come about so let's see what actually happens.
>>
>> Seems hard to make a solid project decision just at the moment
>>

> My view is that if people are upgrading their Jena dependency, then
> they should also be able to upgrade their Java version as well.  Java
> 7 is pretty strongly compatible with Java 6 and seems to be available
> now on all platforms.

Not always so easy in a deployed environment - you may be sharing the
java with other systems and not able to upgrade it yourself.

When I have the choice, I run Java7 but have my Eclipse setup as Java6.
It is easy to control and quick to see when a call to a non-Java6
runtime method is made.

> But I agree, perhaps wait and see what Oracle does w/ the EOL.

At Jena 3, we can jump to "latest" everything.

	Andy

Posted by Simon Helsen <sh...@ca.ibm.com>.
it's not that simple.

Commercial products may be able to upgrade their dependencies on Jena, but
not necessarily their dependency on Java. I can tell you that most
products in IBM are still requiring compatibility with Java 6 because of
our customer landscape. In fact, in general, commercial products cannot
ship the JRE themselves (unless they build it themselves like IBM does).
Customers may only support a certain version of Java, none of which is
under development control

In other words, moving on to Java 7 would immediately require all products
that use Jena to push up their requirements and that may not be an option.
So, doing something like this could leave clients behind

Simon

From:
Stephen Allen <sa...@apache.org>
To: