Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org> on 2019/02/20 16:08:40 UTC

[VOTE] Apache ZooKeeper release 3.4.14 candidate 3

This is a bugfix release candidate for 3.4.14. It fixes 8 issues, mostly build / unit tests issues,
dependency updates flagged by OWASP, NPE and a name resolution problem. Among these it also supports
experimental Maven build and Markdown based documentation generation.

The full release notes is available at:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310801&version=12343587

*** Please download, test and vote by February 24th 2019, 23:59 UTC+0. ***

Source files:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.4.14-rc3/

Maven staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/zookeeper/zookeeper/3.4.14/

The release candidate tag in git to be voted upon: release-3.4.14-rc3

ZooKeeper's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release: http://www.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/KEYS

Should we release this candidate?

Regards,
Andor

Re: [VOTE] Apache ZooKeeper release 3.4.14 candidate 3

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)
Built with Ant on Fedora 28 and Oracle JDK 8
Java test OK (Oracke JDK 8)
verified checksums and signatures (even the one inside the tarball)

run smoke tests with a cluster of 3 servers and two clients, bouncing
the leader a couple of times
all seems running as expected from logs

great work Andor !

Enrico

Posted by Norbert Kalmar <nk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Thanks Andor, +1 !

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Pat,

I’ve just created a new release candidate with the issues resolved that you mentioned here.

Regarding number of files: releases prior to 3.4.14 has included the contrib folder twice: one at top level (src+bin), another one in the ’src’ folder (src only).
From 3.4.14 we only include them in zookeeper-contrib folder.
Similarly we only include recipes in the zookeeper-recipes folder.

Andor

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Il dom 24 feb 2019, 01:19 Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> -1. I notice at least a couple issues with license files. I used "meld" on
> 3.4.14 to compare it to 3.4.13.
>
> in "lib" directory
> * the file "jline-0.9.94.LICENSE.txt" has gone missing (and there is no
> license file within the jar itself)
> * jsr305 and spotbugs-annotations jars have been added. Neither of those
> files have license files included in the tar, nor are they in the jar.
>
> In particular when I look at jsr305 I see a potential issue including it at
> all, see some of the jiras here:
> http://bit.ly/2Xl7aSn
> notice that hbase, giraph, and others have removed this library. It's not
> clear, e.g.
> https://github.com/findbugsproject/findbugs/issues/128
> whether this can be included based on the limited research I've done so
> far. (I didn't look into spotbugs-annotations license situation at all)
>
> Do we need to include these libraries at all in the production release?

We don't need to bundle them, they are compile/validation time dependencies
With Maven build it will be easier to get rid of them

(they are just used for specific testing modes, no?) If so are there any
> requirements wrt updating the notice file.
>
> Please use "meld" to review further - afaict I got them all but it would be
> good for someone to explicitly check.

I never heard about it, I will check thanks

> Do we know why the tars are significantly different sizes? (nearly 10%)
> -rw-r--r--  1 phunt  staff  37191810 Jul 15  2018 zookeeper-3.4.13.tar.gz
> -rw-r--r--@ 1 phunt  staff  39105474 Feb 23 12:55 zookeeper-3.4.14.tar.gz
>
> Is it also expected that the number of files included has dropped
> dramatically?
> [phunt:~/Downloads/z/zookeeper-3.4.13] $ find . |wc -l
>     2023
> [phunt:~/Downloads/z/zookeeper-3.4.14] $ find . |wc -l
>     1782
>
> Patrick

Enrico

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.