Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/07 14:41:20 UTC

Questions for JAX-RS Users

There have been some email threads on this list about sharing configuration
and code between conventional web services and JAX-RS. At the same time,
we're having a bit of a debate over on the dev side. So I'm writing this
message to solicit some thoughts from users.

Do you use JSON, XML, or both? If you use JSON, are you happy with it?

Have you looked into jackson.codehaus.org's JSON provider?

If you have an existing conventional service, and you are looking to add (or
have added) JSON support, read on.

How much investment do you have in data binding configuration? I'm
particularly interested in Aegis. Are any of you using Aegis with an
investment in .aegis.xml files or @nnotations? If so, what expectations do
you have for JSON?

In 2.2.x, Aegis+JAX-RS+JSON only works for fairly simple data types.
Problems with namespaces and generic types cripple more complex cases. These
problems would require a whole lot of effort to solve. I'm wondering,
really, if all of you could just plug in Jackson and get the results you
want. You might have to add some Jackson-specific @nnotations. If you are
dependent on .aegis.xml files to avoid @nnotations, this would be a problem.
If you have a giant raft of .aegis.xml files, or you have custom type
mappings, it might be a really big problem. In which case, I wonder, ahem,
if you'd like to help me implement the changes to Aegis needed.

Anyhow, please let us know.

Re: Questions for JAX-RS Users

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
no problems :-)

Posted by Josh Holtzman <jh...@berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Tatu Saloranta <ts...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tatu, have you got an OSGi bundle for the Jackson provider?

All jars should be working OSGi bundles, including provider one
(jackson-jaxrs-1.2.0.jar).
But not much testing has been done with OSGi features, just basic
load+activation using Felix console.

-+ Tatu +-

Re: Questions for JAX-RS Users

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Tatu, have you got an OSGi bundle for the Jackson provider?

Posted by Scott Parkerson <Sc...@ateb.com>.

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi Josh

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
The fun here all happens below the level of the service interface, so I'll
trim ...

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 7:37 AM, Josh Holtzman <jh...@berkeley.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>

> > Do you use JSON, XML, or both? If you use JSON, are you happy with it?
> >

> Both, but I'm just starting to play around with CXF's JSON support.  I need
> pretty tight control over the JSON/P that my REST endpoints produce, so
> I'll
> likely wind up serializing entities myself in at least some cases.
>

> > Have you looked into jackson.codehaus.org's JSON provider?
> >

> Not yet.  Should I?  Is there a way to plug this into the DOSGi
> implementation (which I use -- possibly inappropriately -- only as a means
> to declarative publish my JAX-WS and JAX-RS endpoints)?

You might. The questions would be: does it produce the JSON you want, or can
it be configured more easily to do so than the alternatives?

> > If you have an existing conventional service, and you are looking to add
> > (or
> > have added) JSON support, read on.
> >
> > How much investment do you have in data binding configuration? I'm
> > particularly interested in Aegis. Are any of you using Aegis with an
> > investment in .aegis.xml files or @nnotations? If so, what expectations
> do
> > you have for JSON?
> >

> I use JAXB, not Aegis, for databinding because it's "the standard".  Sorry
> can't be of any help here.

So eventually you'll find out if you can use the JSON that emerges from JAXB
feeding Jettison.

Posted by Josh Holtzman <jh...@berkeley.edu>.
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> There have been some email threads on this list about sharing configuration
> and code between conventional web services and JAX-RS. At the same time,
> we're having a bit of a debate over on the dev side. So I'm writing this
> message to solicit some thoughts from users.

I'm not sure whether this will help either side of the debate, but I thought
I'd share my approach in case it's useful to you.  I build my services with
no JAX-WS or JAX-RS configuration or code at all.  I then add separate
JAX-WS and JAX-RS endpoints, which do not implement the service API, but
implement something close to it.  For instance "public void
updateEntity(Entity entity)" works just fine for a java service and in
JAX-WS, but in JAX-RS I want to return a Response object rather than void.
Asynchronous calls are also handled differently depending on the endpoint
"style".

The JAX-WS and -RS endpoints delegate all of their logic to the central pojo
service, so the endpoints become purely about publishing the remote services
in a way that makes the most sense for the client.  This is a fundamental
design decision that winds up requiring more code in the end, but it also
allows separation of business logic from all of the latest-and-greatest
endpoint technologies.

> Do you use JSON, XML, or both? If you use JSON, are you happy with it?

Both, but I'm just starting to play around with CXF's JSON support.  I need
pretty tight control over the JSON/P that my REST endpoints produce, so I'll
likely wind up serializing entities myself in at least some cases.

> Have you looked into jackson.codehaus.org's JSON provider?

Not yet.  Should I?  Is there a way to plug this into the DOSGi
implementation (which I use -- possibly inappropriately -- only as a means
to declarative publish my JAX-WS and JAX-RS endpoints)?

> If you have an existing conventional service, and you are looking to add
> (or
> have added) JSON support, read on.
>
> How much investment do you have in data binding configuration? I'm
> particularly interested in Aegis. Are any of you using Aegis with an
> investment in .aegis.xml files or @nnotations? If so, what expectations do
> you have for JSON?

I use JAXB, not Aegis, for databinding because it's "the standard".  Sorry I
can't be of any help here.

Josh

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

> Jettison requires generating really awful JSON when used with JAXB
annotations

Can you please provide an example ? For ex, JSON produced by Jettison vs
JSON you'd expect with a sample class whose instances are being serialized ?

cheers, Sergey

Posted by Scott Parkerson <Sc...@ateb.com>.