Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by "ross.cohen" <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/28 15:19:59 UTC

7.0.0 release vote

Actually, it looks like a 7.0 release means different things to different
people.  Romain, you took everyone's approval of the idea of a 7.0.0 release
to be an approval of your particular version of a 7.0.0 release, which it
clearly was not.   Looks to me like a finer-grained vote is needed to figure
out exactly what people want as part of 7.0.0 release.

Personally, I think David is correct in saying that a release without some
kind of positive JEE 7 compatibility statement is a serious mistake.  I know
the TCK is out of the question right now, but that simply means you need to
invent an alternative compatibility statement:  "Apache-Certified Compliant
to Web Profile Specifications" (or some such).

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1 I would prefer a tons of -1 from users than committers (actually
commiters know how to sort it out so we shouldnt care much of them for such
things ;)).

Now factually vote passed, no new input made the overall debate face
changed so still think we can move forward. I perfectly get - more than you
think - the manager constraint but it will still be there whatever we do
for now. Also if selecting a product is only done on the TCK compliance I'm
happy to let people use some other $ervers (or if the reason is the logo is
using this #abcdef color), quality is not always there but they are often
expensive enough to convince a manager and sadly lock a developer team to
old and buggy versions but whatever constraints are coming from non dev
people I don't want TomEE to be a hostage of such a discussion. This
belongs to vendors and commercial companies not to open source IMHO.

Side note: EE 7 spec have been listed there
http://tomee.apache.org/comparison.html . Of course it doesn't mean any TCK
compliance but it shows the area we worked on - at least the ones I know
about. If I missed any feel free to complete it. If you think the
formatting can be better feel free to play with the dom too, wanted to
avoid another table which basically duplicates a lot of noise but that's
only my voice and I'm for making it clearer if possible.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Thanks for the feedback.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "ross.cohen" <ro...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

timid, and
easily startled into Leviathan's camp.  Once there, like donkeys, they are
wonderfully
adept at planting their feet, if they feel you are trying to lead them
towards anything
remotely "unsafe".  So, if Tomee could have some kind of clear
statement/guarantee
of conformity to the specs (in whatever form), it would really, really,
really, help us
guys in the corporate trenches fight against the Leviathan FUD.

--We ll clearly not get any EE 7 compatibility on the site. Best we can do
is
--to list API/impl we have of EE 7.

This would be a great place to begin!  It is something I can bring my
manager.

--Last point: your vote would have been very welcomed but now vote passed
--I strongly think we can discuss for 10 years without providing anything to

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure if you're interpretting it as hibernate ORM is AL or not, but
ORM is LGPL.  OGM and search are also LGPL.  Bean validation is pretty much
the only ALv2 component.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
did the same and got an enthousistic moment, didnt last :(

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@David: we needed a version >= 5 (think I voted for 5) just to not break
auto-tools like maven version comparison etc. Then I guess users desired
ee=tomee but when you pointed out this confusion to me I made it clear in a
thread.
@all: now we had milestones 7.x we need for the same reason a 7.0.0 or a >
7.x so 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 are no more options.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Eduard Ketler <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Matej <gm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Being 95% compliant or 2% compliant depends on what: spec, tck, goal,
usability etc...

Numbers mean nothing, user feedback does and is rather good for now.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On May 5, 2016, at 7:26 AM, ross.cohen <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Examples are not spec compliant too or abuse of vendor behavior. Also a
>> serious amount of users just need what is in tomee now. I tend to prefer
>> move forward with active people than waiting passive ones move - we lost 2
>> years with such a behavior.
>>
>> What you mentionned is also true for 100% certified servers so with
>> experience I think ignoring it is fine while we fix fast.
>
> If it is truly the case that Tomee is 95%+ compliant, then releasing 7.0
> seems reasonable.  As you point out, no implementation is 100% compliant.

To my observation we have stones unturned.  Vendor-specific or not the Java EE 7 examples project are 1) what people are using to learn and 2) run (mostly) fine against compliant Glassfish and Wildfly.

You can see the green and red thumbs up on this page for the full list:

  - http://javaee.support/ <http://javaee.support/>

We currently fail 10 out of 28 tests for JAX-RS.  Failed tests include JAX-RS 2.0 Client, JSON-P support, JAX-RS Security Declarative, Bean Validation integration, and Async Server support.

Ideally, we’d take some time and pic through them one-by-one and figure out exactly why they don’t pass and make sure everyone is aware and ok with those reasons.

The only technical reason I’ve heard is due to JPA.  Seems we could run those tests against Plume and see how we do.

-David

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "ross.cohen" <ro...@gmail.com>.
Romain Manni-Bucau wrote

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le 4 mai 2016 23:28, "ross.cohen" <ro...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Romain Manni-Bucau wrote
>
> > ross.cohen.rc@
>
> > &gt;:
> >
> >> David Blevins-2 wrote
> >

> >> That is also my recollection of the question.
> >>
> >> But whether or not it was the case, it is certainly the case that any
> >> user
> >> downloading Tomee 7.x will do so under the impression that it is JEE 7
> >> compliant.  This is reason enough to either wait, or continue under the
> >> current numbering scheme.
> >>

> > Well both lead to the same: tomee is not adapted. Question is then: when
> > do
> > we stop waiting for something likely not coming?
>
> I don't really care about the TCK.  Everyone would like it if Oracle would
> play nice
> and released a TCK for us, but it's not going to happen.  However,
> compliance with
> the specs is a different matter.  At what point are we compliant with the
> specs?
> Good question.  David says the rest api passes only 75% of the published
> examples.  To me, that is non-compliant.   If it were 95%, I'd be willing
> call us
> compliant.   Exactly where is the line?   I'm not sure, but it can't be
much
> below 95%.
> If users find that the software frequently contradicts the spec, they will
> become
> frustrated and angry.

Examples are not spec compliant too or abuse of vendor behavior. Also a
serious amount of users just need what is in tomee now. I tend to prefer to
move forward with active people than waiting passive ones move - we lost 2
years with such a behavior.

What you mentionned is also true for 100% certified servers so with
experience I think ignoring it is fine while we fix fast.

Anyway as said vote passed even if some people were not happy. Ill start a
vote next week and let see what happen.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "ross.cohen" <ro...@gmail.com>.
Romain Manni-Bucau wrote

> ross.cohen.rc@

> &gt;:
>
>> David Blevins-2 wrote
>

>> That is also my recollection of the question.
>>
>> But whether or not it was the case, it is certainly the case that any
>> user
>> downloading Tomee 7.x will do so under the impression that it is JEE 7
>> compliant.  This is reason enough to either wait, or continue under the
>> current numbering scheme.
>>

> Well both lead to the same: tomee is not adapted. Question is then: when
> do
> we stop waiting for something likely not coming?

I don't really care about the TCK.  Everyone would like it if Oracle would
play nice
and released a TCK for us, but it's not going to happen.  However,
compliance with
the specs is a different matter.  At what point are we compliant with the
specs?
Good question.  David says the rest api passes only 75% of the published
examples.  To me, that is non-compliant.   If it were 95%, I'd be willing to

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "ross.cohen" <ro...@gmail.com>.
David Blevins-2 wrote

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Roberto Cortez <ra...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Fixed several in my fork - guess it has been merged but there was too much
issues to fix them all alone. The build output shows what it is generally -
excepted when the tests are not passing at all like angular example was.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sorry for so many posts :-)

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Re: 7.0.0 release vote

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
In terms of statements of compliance, which of these Java EE 7 samples will currently run successfully?

 - https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee7-samples <https://github.com/javaee-samples/javaee7-samples>