Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> on 2016/06/02 21:39:32 UTC

[all] Automatic site update

Hi all,

A part of the release process is to update the web site. I wonder if
this could be simplified with a Jenkins job watching for the release
tags and building/uploading the new site automatically. That would make
one less thing to think about when releasing new versions. I suspect the
most difficult issue to solve is to let Jenkins publish the content
without compromising the security.

Thoughts?

Emmanuel Bourg

AW: [all] Automatic site update

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.
> > A part of the release process is to update the web site. I wonder if
> > this could be simplified with a Jenkins job watching for the release
> > tags and building/uploading the new site automatically. That would
> > make one less thing to think about when releasing new versions. I
> > suspect the most difficult issue to solve is to let Jenkins publish
> > the content without compromising the security.

If you are willing to start the Jenkins job manually, you could use build parameters for asking for the security infos.

You could also use several jobs
- automatic job1 checks for thinks to do. If then send an email "manual things have to be done". Otherwise be quite.
- manual job2 does the secured actions

Jan

Re: [all] Automatic site update

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
One big pain is releasing IMO is having to manage BOTH Nexus (with the
extra checksum mess) AND SVN dist/dev + dist/release.

It would be nice if Nexus had a menu option as part of Closing a repo to
"remove extra checksum"...

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [all] Automatic site update

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 June 2016 at 23:15, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> schrieb am Do., 2. Juni 2016 um
>> 23:39 Uhr:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > A part of the release process is to update the web site. I wonder if
>> > this could be simplified with a Jenkins job watching for the release
>> > tags and building/uploading the new site automatically. That would make
>> > one less thing to think about when releasing new versions. I suspect the
>> > most difficult issue to solve is to let Jenkins publish the content
>> > without compromising the security.
>>

>> > Thoughts?
>> >

>> I'm all for automation. The only problem I see is, that I usually publish
>> the final site from a dirty working copy. This is because I don't put the
>> release date into changes.xml until after the release.
>

> I like to use the RC date for changes.xml (which I forgot to do when I
> recently RM'd Commons CSV 1.4!)
>
> If the RC becomes the release, then you are done. If the RC does not, then
> update the date again for the next RC. I think that is 'sane' step.

What I do if I remember is add 4-5 days to the start of the RC vote.
This gives time for the vote plus publication delay.
I can then time the announce for the correct date.

But it's not too difficult to fix the website if necessary later.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> schrieb am Do., 2. Juni 2016 um
23:39 Uhr:

> Hi all,
>
> A part of the release process is to update the web site. I wonder if
> this could be simplified with a Jenkins job watching for the release
> tags and building/uploading the new site automatically. That would make
> one less thing to think about when releasing new versions. I suspect the
> most difficult issue to solve is to let Jenkins publish the content
> without compromising the security.

> Thoughts?

I'm all for automation. The only problem I see is, that I usually publish
the final site from a dirty working copy. This is because I don't put the
release date into changes.xml until after the release. However I have