Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> on 2005/05/12 00:16:33 UTC

Mailing list reply addresses [was: OS X 10.4 compilation results]

Ben Reser wrote:
> Yeah and please don't CC me on things like this.  I'm on the list.  I
> don't need to get your 300 kB messages twice.

Note that this message thread was originally in reply to your release
announcement.  I just mention this as explanation, not excuse, for how your
address got there.

I thought the accepted practice on this list, at least for those of us who
don't have a "Reply to list" function, was to Reply To All.  In that situation
the original poster, having sent something like (From: Fred, To:
dev@subversion.tigris.org), normally gets a private reply and a list reply (To:
Fred, Cc: dev@subversion.tigris.org).

Since I don't normally want a private copy of the reply, I always try to
remember to set the "Reply-To" field of my outgoing message to
"dev@subversion.tigris.org" so that the result of someone Replying To All is
that I only receive a reply on the list.  It seems to work for me, though it's
a bit of a pain copying and pasting the address into "Reply-To" each time (in
Mozilla mail).

- Julian

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:04:11PM -0400, David James wrote:
> Personally, I prefer to get a copy of the reply. Since I don't read
> every mail on the list, it's handy to have my name in the email
> headers so I'll know to take a look. And the other problems mentioned
> (e.g. slow downloads, duplicate copies of emails) don't happen with
> gmail!

I completely understand this... and actually I have a filter that eats
the duplicates.  However, my mail server still receives two copies of
the message.  Mail server load is bad enough with all the spam and
viruses floating around.  The benefit of having my name on the header
doesn't really justify itself when I have to consider the overhead of
processing such a large message.

Ideally the solution is to not send such large messages without being
asked to send them.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Posted by David James <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/05, Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Since I don't normally want a private copy of the reply, I always try to
> remember to set the "Reply-To" field of my outgoing message to
> "dev@subversion.tigris.org" so that the result of someone Replying To All is
> that I only receive a reply on the list.  It seems to work for me, though it's
> a bit of a pain copying and pasting the address into "Reply-To" each time (in
> Mozilla mail).
Personally, I prefer to get a copy of the reply. Since I don't read
every mail on the list, it's handy to have my name in the email
headers so I'll know to take a look. And the other problems mentioned
(e.g. slow downloads, duplicate copies of emails) don't happen with
gmail!

-- David

--
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~james

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:16:33AM +0100, Julian Foad wrote:
> Note that this message thread was originally in reply to your release
> announcement.  I just mention this as explanation, not excuse, for how your
> address got there.
>
> I thought the accepted practice on this list, at least for those of us who
> don't have a "Reply to list" function, was to Reply To All.  In that
> situation the original poster, having sent something like (From: Fred, To:
> dev@subversion.tigris.org), normally gets a private reply and a list reply
> (To: Fred, Cc: dev@subversion.tigris.org).

Yup and I don't mind this at all since normally people aren't sending
300k emails. :)

> Since I don't normally want a private copy of the reply, I always try to
> remember to set the "Reply-To" field of my outgoing message to
> "dev@subversion.tigris.org" so that the result of someone Replying To All
> is that I only receive a reply on the list.  It seems to work for me,
> though it's a bit of a pain copying and pasting the address into "Reply-To"
> each time (in Mozilla mail).

Well the problem with this is the particular email in question is sent
to 3 lists.  There's not really a correct Reply-To: to set it to because
it really should go to different places depending upon the reply.

Additionally, mail sent to the announce list results in a fair amount of
auto-reply traffic that we don't want to direct to the mailing lists.