Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk> on 2005/03/18 13:11:43 UTC

PostmasterAlias - silently added mailet - NOT good for virtual hosting

Over the last few days, I've received a couple of emails from some new
accounts on our server, and it's been baffling me.  All of the emails are
addressed to postmaster@various-domains, but they keep coming to me!

After a bit of hunting, I found a mailet that would do this:
PostmasterAlias.

However, PostmasterAlias isnt in my config file - it's "silently inserted at
the top of the root * spool processor"!!!!

JamesSpoolManager.java (201-207):
                if (processorName.equals("root")) {
                    Matcher matcher = matchLoader.getMatcher("All",
                                                             mailetContext);
                    Mailet mailet =
mailetLoader.getMailet("PostmasterAlias",
                                                           mailetContext,
null);
                    processor.add(matcher, mailet);
                }

I can almost see the logic in having this as rfc822 mandates postmaster@
addresses be valid.

However, I would prefer it (as would anyone with multiple domains with
different postmaster accounts) if it was a default mailet in config.xml,
rather than hiding it in code, as in some cases it causes problems (see
above).

The alternative solution (in my case) is to add a forwarder to
virtualusertable with postmaster@% getting mapped to the default postmaster.
This keeps it rfc compliant, but allows different postmasters for different
domains!

Daniel.