Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Orion Poplawski <or...@cora.nwra.com> on 2009/10/19 19:28:48 UTC

How to build from source from scratch

I'm looking into packaging xmlbeans for Fedora.  A requirement is to not
ship/use any prebuilt jar files.  It looks like xmlbeans requires some
kind of bootstrap build.  Is building completely from source possible?

Thanks!

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion@cora.nwra.com

Re: How to build from source from scratch

Posted by Robert Marcano <ro...@marcanoonline.com>.
On 10/19/2009 04:40 PM, Cezar Andrei wrote:
> No, you need the checked in binary (external/lib/oldxbeans.jar). If you run 'ant bootstrap' twice, first time you'll probably get a warning that there are differences, but second time the binary should be the same, i.e. based only on the sources available.
>
> XMLBeans needs itself because in order to understand schema files we need to compile the schema for schemas into xsd xbeans, these s4s xbeans are used to verify, load xsd files in memory and create the schema type system.
>
> Cezar

This is not entirely true, there are some exceptions for bootstraping,
for example

Name       : jaxen-bootstrap
Arch       : noarch
Version    : 1.1
Release    : 2.2.fc11
Size       : 202 k
Repo       : local-fedora
Summary    : A convenience package for build of dom4j
URL        : http://jaxen.codehaus.org/
License    : BSD
            : This package must only be installed in the rare
            : event of having to rebuild dom4j.

Posted by Cezar Andrei <ce...@oracle.com>.