Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by JiangHaiting <ji...@foxmail.com> on 2021/09/28 14:04:49 UTC

[PIP 100] Add seekByIndex for consumer api

Hi Pulsar Community,

I'm glad to have this opportunity to propose this PIP.

Currently we can reset the read position of a cursor by message id or timestamp.&nbsp;
Since we formerly introduced index in broker metadata since 2.9.0,&nbsp;
reset cursor by index is very helpful in other protocol handler (KoP or RoP).

Also, as @BewareMyPower pointed out that&nbsp;
"users might want to seek to 10000 messages before. Currently they cannot achieve this goal.".&nbsp;
And this PIP will make it possible.

I've already created a PR, see details at https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/12032

Thanks,
Haiting&nbsp;Jiang (Github:Jason918)

Re: [PIP 100] Add seekByIndex for consumer api

Posted by JiangHaiting <ji...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Yunze,

Thanks for the reminding.&nbsp;
I will come up with the issue and new mail for this pip.

------------------&nbsp;Original&nbsp;------------------
From:                                                                                                                        "dev"                                                                                    <yzxu@streamnative.io.INVALID&gt;;
Date:&nbsp;Tue, Sep 28, 2021 10:13 PM
To:&nbsp;"dev"<dev@pulsar.apache.org&gt;;

Subject:&nbsp;Re: [PIP 100] Add seekByIndex for consumer api

You need to create an issue first to start a discussion for your PIP.

Here’s the process of PIP:

1. The author(s) of the proposal will create a GitHub issue ticket choosing the
 template for PIP proposals.
 to start the discussion, using subject prefix `[PIP] xxx`.
3. Based on the discussion and feedback, some changes might be applied by
 authors to the text of the proposal.
4. Once some consensus is reached, there will be a vote to formally approve
 the proposal.
 is welcome to vote on the proposal, though it will considered to be binding
 only the vote of PMC members.
 I would be required to have a lazy majority of at least 3 binding +1s votes.
 The vote should stay open for at least 48 hours.
5. When the vote is closed, if the outcome is positive, the state of the
 proposal is updated and the Pull Requests associated with this proposal can
 start to get merged into the master branch.

Thanks,
Yunze

&gt; 2021年9月28日 下午10:04,JiangHaiting <jianghaiting@foxmail.com&gt; 写道:
&gt;
&gt; Hi Pulsar Community,
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I'm glad to have this opportunity to propose this PIP.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Currently we can reset the read position of a cursor by message id or timestamp.&amp;nbsp;
&gt; Since we formerly introduced index in broker metadata since 2.9.0,&amp;nbsp;
&gt; reset cursor by index is very helpful in other protocol handler (KoP or RoP).
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Also, as @BewareMyPower pointed out that&amp;nbsp;
&gt; "users might want to seek to 10000 messages before. Currently they cannot achieve this goal.".&amp;nbsp;
&gt; And this PIP will make it possible.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I've already created a PR, see details at https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/12032
&gt;
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Thanks,
&gt; Haiting&amp;nbsp;Jiang (Github:Jason918)

---
Thanks,
Haiting Jiang (Github: Jason918)

Re: [PIP 100] Add seekByIndex for consumer api

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Yunze Xu <yz...@streamnative.io.INVALID>.
I have edited the Wiki page for PIP
 https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki/Pulsar-Improvement-Proposal-(PIP) <https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki/Pulsar-Improvement-Proposal-(PIP)>