Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Multer <da...@multer.com> on 2008/11/05 07:30:04 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd 2.2.10 mod_proxy bug?

I just installed the latest 2.2.10 version of Apache web server and
noticed it's broken my Tomcat+Hudson setup. I've confirmed that
falling back to 2.2.9 eliminates the problem. I suppose it could be an
issue in my config that was only uncovered with the latest version,
but for now I'll assume it's a real problem.

My httpd.conf:
ProxyRequests off
ProxyPass /hudson/ http://subdomain.domain.com:8080/hudson/
ProxyPassReverse /hudson/ http://subdomain.domain.com:8080/hudson/

Using 2.2.10, when I navigate to http://subdomain.domain.com:8080/hudson/
  everything works fine. So Tomcat+Hudson is good. When I go to http://subdomain.domain.com/hudson/
  I get a 502 GET /hudson/ error reporting a DNS failure for
subdomain.domain.com. Again, both approaches work fine under 2.2.9.

Here's what shows up in my Apache error log:
[Tue Nov 04 16:04:55 2008] [error] [client X.X.X.X] proxy: DNS lookup
failure for: subdomain.domain.com returned by /hudson/

Thanks for any help. I wanted to ask before filing a bug report.

-David

Re: [users@httpd] httpd 2.2.10 mod_proxy bug?

Posted by David Multer <da...@multer.com>.
More progress:

- I inserted log messages and have determined that APR is getting an
EAI_AGAIN return value from getaddrinfo() after running for a while.
- I've verified that DNS calls are actually still working in other
processes via "host subdomain.domain.com", etc.
- Note that I've compiled and run Apache on Mac OS X 10.5.5 (latest).
- My Apache ./configure is as follows. I built and run Apache on the
same Mac system.
./configure \
--prefix=/usr/local/apache2 \
--enable-mods-shared=all \
--enable-proxy-balancer \
--enable-proxy-ajp \
--enable-proxy-http \
--enable-proxy-ftp \
--enable-proxy-connect \
--enable-proxy \
--enable-ssl \
--with-included-apr \
--enable-dav \
--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/bdb \
--with-dbm=db4 \
--enable-so
- I'm pretty certain that the failure is due to a memory leak in
Apache that's causing getaddrinfo() calls to fail. I am continuing to
look into what could be the source of the leak.
- Memory for the rest of the system looks okay, and the failure seems
restricted to Apache.
- There is no DNS caching.
- The failure occurs in mod_proxy on the DNS lookup after running a
browser refresh for a long time.
- I configured the proxy to Tomcat inside a named virtual host. I
actually have many virtual hosts configured.
- I would recommend a test case that runs continuously to reproduce
this problem.

Thanks,
David

Posted by David Multer <da...@multer.com>.

Posted by David Multer <da...@multer.com>.

Posted by Franck Toulouse <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I run into the same problem, same configuration.
Did you find a solution ?

Thanks in advance.
Franck