Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Steve Vestal <st...@adventiumlabs.com> on 2020/11/25 01:48:24 UTC

Pellet reasoner?

A search turns up several pages on using Pellet with Jena, some
appearing fairly out-of-date.  What is the current recommended
approach?  https://github.com/Galigator/openllet?

Also, eventually I will want to try this on a model backed by a TDB2
data set.  Is the performance reasonable even for fairly large models?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Pellet reasoner?

Posted by Lorenz Buehmann <bu...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>.

On 25.11.20 02:48, Steve Vestal wrote:
> A search turns up several pages on using Pellet with Jena, some
> appearing fairly out-of-date.  What is the current recommended
> approach?  https://github.com/Galigator/openllet?
Openllet is the only existing effort porting Pellet to Jena 3.x I'm
aware of, so yes it should work. We also did our own fork of Pellet and
ported it to Jena 3.x but only because Openllet also moved to OWL API
5.x which we couldn't use at the time we needed a newer Pellet.
Nowadays, I'd go with Openllet, yes.

> Also, eventually I will want to try this on a model backed by a TDB2
> data set.  Is the performance reasonable even for fairly large models?
reasoning happens in-memory because it does proper OWL DL reasoning via
tableau algorithm, so depending on the model size I doubt it will scale
that good. But in the end you just have to test if it sufficient for
your application. Also the question that might come into play is, do you
need full OWL DL support?