Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by skraaatch <sk...@thenumnum.net> on 2002/08/24 16:33:44 UTC

JWSDP-TOMCAT vs TOMCAT STANDALONE

hi,
running tomcat4 from my ide (calling the
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap) works fine.
however, when trying to run tomcat 4 that is bundled with the jwsdp1.0, i
get an error while tomcat is trying to start up. if anyone has any ideas or
could point me to an appropriate resource, it would be much appreciated.
thanks.

i get the following error....
DEBUG [main] (Log4JCategoryLog.java:132) - addRuleSet() with no namespace
URI
Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError:
org.apache.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
 at
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:150)
 at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.getParser(Digester.java:565)
 at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.getXMLReader(Digester.java:607)
 at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1284)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:448)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:399)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
Process terminated with exit code 2

Re: JWSDP-TOMCAT vs TOMCAT STANDALONE

Posted by skraaatch <sk...@thenumnum.net>.
ok, the last error was solved as it was due to log4j category not being
initialised properly because i had included a log4j jar file in my classpath
before all the tomcat jars :-\ (silly).
but now, i have a very different error - see next mail.

Re: running JWSDP-TOMCAT from an IDE

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, STEVE R BURRUS wrote:

> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:06:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: STEVE R BURRUS <st...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>,
>      skraaatch <sk...@thenumnum.net>
> Subject: Re: running JWSDP-TOMCAT from an IDE
>
> Hello there, "Skraatch", I was just a little bit curious as to where exactly you
> got the JWSDP from?? The java.sun.com site?

  http://java.sun.com/webservices/

Craig

Re: running JWSDP-TOMCAT from an IDE

Posted by STEVE R BURRUS <st...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by skraaatch <sk...@thenumnum.net>.
hi,
i should have explained properly:
starting and stopping the JWSDP-tomcat works fine when i use the catalina
batch files, the sample applications work and my application works. It's
only when i tried to run it from my ide that i had problems.
( i then downloaded tomcat4 on it's own and used the good tutorial at
http://www.phasesoft.com/articles/tomcat4idea/ to check that it would work -
it started up fine)
however, when i tried to add a similar set of classes to the project
classpath, i noticed that there were some differences in the jar files
between the two versions of tomcat. However, i didn't get anywhere by
including the extra jars.

So, the command used to startup tomcat from my ide became:
C:\jdk1.3.1\bin\javaw.exe -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\jwsdp-1_0\bin;C:\jwsdp-1_
0\common\lib;C:\jwsdp-1_0\common\endorsed" -Dcatalina.base="C:\jwsdp-1_0" -D
catalina.home="C:\jwsdp-1_0" -Djava.io.tmpdir="C:\jwsdp-1_0\temp"
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
(NOTE THAT I CHOPPED THE CLASSPATH STUFF OUT BECUASE IT IS JUST TOO LONG.
err, maybe that's something to do with it? - the full line was >3000 chars
incl. classpath so be assured i included as much as possible so either i'm
still missing something or there's a clash i think.)

The error was:
[...]

C:\LiDO\lib\lido-dev.jar
C:\LiDO\lib\lido-rdb.jar
C:\LiDO\lib\lido-rt.jar
C:\LiDO\lib\j2ee.jar
C:\jakarta-log4j-1.2.6\dist\lib\log4j-1.2.6.jar
C:\IntelliJ-IDEA-2.5.2\lib\junit.jar
C:\msc\arak\build\WEB-INF\classes
C:\jdk1.3.1\lib\tools.jar
all jars in: C:\jwsdp-1_0\bin\
everything below: C:\jwsdp-1_0\common\
everything below: C:\jwsdp-1_0\server\

aL.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Put $ANT_HOME/bin in your system $PATH variable.  Now open a new command
prompt (important!) and type "ant".  I don't know how they have their build
set up, but I'm assuming that they aren't using platform specific scripts
to get ant started.  They probably just have a build.xml file there.  That
is the default one ant looks for.

You can type "ant -projecthelp" to see all the build targets
available.  However, they usually provide a default build target so just
typing "ant" should build the project.

Jake

Posted by Sundar Manyapu <sk...@yahoo.com>.
Hi craig,