Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/07/01 08:09:38 UTC

Re: Joint Lenya/Forrest list

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > What to do when there are two PMCs involved? I don't know.
> > Who will be responsible?
>
> If we make a virtual list (which I prefer) that posts mails on both
> developer lists with added [lefo] in the subject, then each PMC will be
> responsible for their dev list, as is now.
>
> > The discussion was very rushed. Are you sure that was a decision?
>
> I think I saw consensus. To test it, it's easy to ask for a [VOTE]
> before acting.

I was referring to how the new list should operate.
We hadn't decided how. Though i was distracted with the
release at the time, so it was a blur for me.
Also is Lenya happy with this?

I still don't see how such a virtual list would work.
Can someone explain?

-David

Re: Joint Lenya/Forrest list

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>>What to do when there are two PMCs involved? I don't know.
>>>Who will be responsible?
>>
>>If we make a virtual list (which I prefer) that posts mails on both
>>developer lists with added [lefo] in the subject, then each PMC will be
>>responsible for their dev list, as is now.
>>
>>>The discussion was very rushed. Are you sure that was a decision?
>>
>>I think I saw consensus. To test it, it's easy to ask for a [VOTE]
>>before acting.
>
> I was referring to how the new list should operate.
> We hadn't decided how. Though i was distracted with the
> release at the time, so it was a blur for me.
> Also is Lenya happy with this?

Good point. That could/should be tested with a [VOTE] too, just to be sure.

> I still don't see how such a virtual list would work.
> Can someone explain?

Sorry, I should have explained what I mean before.

We would have these two addresses:

   lefo@forrest.apache.org
   lefo@lenya.apache.org

Everyone subscribed to the forrest and lenya dev lists can send mails to
these addresses.

Every mail sent to any of them is automatically posted on both:

    dev@forrest.apache.org
    dev@lenya.apache.org

with [lefo] added to the header to signal that the reply will go to both
lists and a reply-to header set to a lefo@x.apache.org list.

Basically it's an automatic and transparent cross-posting.
Actually, I don't even know if it's easy to set-up or not O:-)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -