Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wallace, Scott" <SW...@kmg.com> on 2005/06/02 20:28:38 UTC

Scalability issue question

Currently using IIS and the ISAPI Tomcat redirect.   Would like to just
use Tomcat instead but don't know if it can handle my static content.
The book "Apache Tomcat 5" published by WROX warns of performance issues
with static content, but ComputerWorld just did an article about
Weather.com running their site on multiple load balanced Tomcat servers
servicing 18 million hits a day.
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,92583
,00.html

I currently only get around 250 k hits per day but we're about to
integrate email with Livelink and that puts me into a whole new
performance arena.   Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Scott Wallace
Livelink Global Infrastructure Coordinator
swallace@kmg.com
405-270-2027 wk
405-323-2237 cell
405-228-6027 fax
"I have an existential map; it has 'you are here'
 written all over it. " - Steven Wright

Important Notice!!
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail message, any use, distribution or copying of the message is prohibited.
Please let me know immediately by return e-mail if you have received this message by mistake, then delete the e-mail message.
Thank you.

Re: Scalability issue question

Posted by Hari Mailvaganam <ha...@gmail.com>.
It can be a good idea to have it load balanced from a performance and
uptime point of view.

It is hard to absolutely decipher what each Tomcat can specifically
handle in terms of load. A load test, which emualates user actions,
may give you a ball park.

The dependencies are on network, server OS, memory, JVM etc.

regards,

Hari Mailvaganam

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/05, Wallace, Scott <SW...@kmg.com> wrote:
> Currently using IIS and the ISAPI Tomcat redirect.   Would like to just
> use Tomcat instead but don't know if it can handle my static content.
> The book "Apache Tomcat 5" published by WROX warns of performance issues
> with static content, but ComputerWorld just did an article about
> Weather.com running their site on multiple load balanced Tomcat servers
> servicing 18 million hits a day.
> http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,92583
> ,00.html

You do realize that article is over a year old don't you? That would
be based around Tomcat 4.X and there have been leaps and bounds in
perfomance with 5.0 and 5.5 so Tomcat should fare even better than it
did back then.

However I would be surprised if weather.com were using the Apache
webserver and looking at Netcraft it looks like they are, no idea what
connectors they are using though.

Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com