Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Nick Kolivas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/05 11:14:43 UTC

UIMA Dictionary Annotator help

Dear all,

I am trying to understand how to build a custom dictionary annotator that will
scan a database for entries in order to generate an annotation for each word in
that database. Is this possible?On top of that is there a more thorough user
guide in order to undestand how to build the custom dictionary annotator?

http://uima.apache.org/d/uima-addons-current/DictionaryAnnotator/DictionaryAnnotatorUserGuide.html

I cannot say that this one was much of a help! I have eclipse with uima sdk
installed and I have played around with the examples by building my email
annotator. But I cannot get how to build the dic annotator.

Waiting for your answers.

With regards,

Nick

Re: UIMA Dictionary Annotator help

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hi Nick,

I inlined the reply below.

Am 06.03.2013 um 10:47 schrieb Nick Kolivas <ni...@gmail.com>:

> Is it possible for the dictionary annotator to scan a table of a database like
> it was a dictionary?

The official UIMA dictionary annotator requires a pre-built dictionary - the same
is true for the DKPro DictionaryAnnotator. Both cannot be configured to access a
database.

> First of all what I need to do is match a recognised text with a table of a
> database containing names. So for example if we have a recognition " My name is
> Nick" I want my annotator to compare the recognised text with the database and
> try to find a match. Now lets say that "Nick" exists in the database so we have
> a match then the annotator will return a name annotation. This annotator will be
> used as UIMA pipeline early stage.
>
> My problem is on how to create it. Using a dictionary annotator, or by just
> using a general annotatator with some regex that will just scan the database?

I think writing custom annotator that does just what you need is the better option.

It is possible to implement a generic dictionary annotator in UIMA that uses
what is called an "external resource" to look up entries. The resource is usually
realized as an interface which can have several implementations, e.g. a FileDictionary
or a DatabaseDictionary. I don't know of any ready implementation of this, though.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: UIMA Dictionary Annotator help

Posted by Nick Kolivas <ni...@gmail.com>.

http://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-asl/source/browse/de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.core-asl/trunk/de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.core.dictionaryannotator-asl/src/main/java/de/tudarmstadt/ukp/dkpro/core/dictionaryannotator/DictionaryAnnotator.java

> Cheers,

Goodmorning Richard.

Thank you for the link!
I was having some second thoughts yesterday about how to proceed with my
annotator and I would like to share them with you.

First of all what I need to do is match a recognised text with a table of a
database containing names. So for example if we have a recognition " My name is
Nick" I want my annotator to compare the recognised text with the database and
try to find a match. Now lets say that "Nick" exists in the database so we have
a match then the annotator will return a name annotation. This annotator will be
used as UIMA pipeline early stage.

My problem is on how to create it. Using a dictionary annotator, or by just
using a general annotatator with some regex that will just scan the database?

Is it possible for the dictionary annotator to scan a table of a database like
it was a dictionary?

Thank you both for your answers.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hello Nick,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I think there is not a more comprehensive user guide for building custom
dictionary annotators.  There is, however, the source code :-).

If you succeed in climbing the learning curve on how to do what you want, we
invite contributions to the project, including documentation, and hope you might
consider contributing something for others that might follow along in your
footsteps.

If you have specific questions along the way, please ask.

-Marshall