Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org> on 2003/10/05 04:02:35 UTC

Maven test run

In the spirit of rolling up sleeves, this is the result of a very quick look
at Maven:
http://www.apache.org/~sraeburn/maven/index.html

I'll keep playing with this for now, because it's not fit to be checked in
yet and I've only built the core /src/share files. There's also more work to
do in configuring the various reports.

Don't expect all the links to work, or any of the reports to be correct
(though already, some of them look useful).

Steve

Re: Maven test run

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>:

> On Nov 28, 2003, at 3:08 AM, Steve Raeburn wrote:
>
> > I've updated project.xml to reference the validator 1.1.1 jar. You need
> > to manually download it from http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ and place
> > it in your local repository.
>
> Would it be a good idea to make an alternate JAR repository for Struts
> so that this step can be automated without depending on the iBiblio
> managers?  It's trivial to do in Maven -- in fact, now that I look, I
> see that it's configured in the "project.properties" file, but that
> line is commented out:
>
> #maven.repo.remote=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/,http://
> jakarta.apache.org/struts/repo
>
> Any reason not to set that up so that it works?

FWIW, an Incubator project to set up a formal Apache repository (Ruper) is just
in the startup stages.  Among other things, this will include covering the
policy issues around publishing JARs into such a repository (which, after all,
is effectively a release vehicle and therefore needs the same sort of
management as the release directories do), and the possibility to leverage the
mirrorring architecture.  The initial focus is *not* going to be on tools that
manage the repository, but I'm sure you'll see any necessary changes added to
things like Ant and Maven in short order.

Anyone interested in participating in this effort is encouraged to join the
Incubator related mailling lists (start at http://incubator.apache.org and the
suggest that we *not* try to create a Struts-specific repository that would
quickly become redundant.

If a short term action is needed to avoid dependence on ibiblio, we could pretty
easily document how to set up and populate your own local repository.

> My big project is out the door, so I'll try to sneak in some time
> catching up with Struts and Maven stuff before things get away from me
> again...

Your help on the Maven configuration and build scripts is much appreciated!

> Joe

Craig

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Ted Husted wrote:
> Ditto for any of our Commons JAR dependencies.

... that we are using for a release trigger, like Commons-Validator for
1.2.0

-T.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> http://maven.apache.org/repository-upload.html
>
> Perhaps, if Maven is widely adopted by Apache projects, it would make
> sense to set up an Apache based repository. Then projects would be able
> to directly publish their own jars.

This idea has been bandied about on infrastructure@ several times. Right
now, they're in the process of procuring some serious new hardware for
Apache. Once that's in place, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apche repo
for Maven (amongst other) builds. That would make a lot of folks happy.
:-)

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Tim Chen wrote:

> Using Maven on a few of my projects I've often felt the same way.
> It would be nice to not have to wait for someone to submit a request for
> a new jar to be put on ibiblio (that's how its done currently) before
> being able to use it in your own project. We've either set up a
> repository for or dropped in manually latest/greatest jars that we need
> just so that we dont have to wait for ibibilio.
> A jakarta wide maven like repository would be awesome to this respect.
> Since jakarta has a pretty easy to access repository already
> (http://apache.takiweb.com/jakarta/) it shouldnt be too difficult to add
> a few folders to make it maven friendly.

There are plenty of Jakarta (and Apache) mirrors around. However, there's
always the question of trust. People are always supposed to verify their
downloads from a mirror against the signatures on the main Apache site.
For an automated build process to be trustworthy, it would either have to
do that same verification automatically (unlikely, IMHO) or obtain its
dependencies from an Apache server. That means an Apache repo, as Steve
suggested.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.
On Nov 28, 2003, at 3:08 AM, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> I've updated project.xml to reference the validator 1.1.1 jar. You need
> to manually download it from http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ and place
> it in your local repository.

Would it be a good idea to make an alternate JAR repository for Struts
so that this step can be automated without depending on the iBiblio
managers?  It's trivial to do in Maven -- in fact, now that I look, I
see that it's configured in the "project.properties" file, but that
line is commented out:

#maven.repo.remote=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/,http://
jakarta.apache.org/struts/repo

Any reason not to set that up so that it works?

My big project is out the door, so I'll try to sneak in some time
catching up with Struts and Maven stuff before things get away from me
again...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com
  "We want beef in dessert if we can get it there."
   -- Betty Hogan, Director of New Product Development, National
Cattlemen's Beef Association

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
OK, the Maven build is looking good. Thanks ever so much, Tim!

Now the next question on this front is what to do about the various web
applications?

We had been rolling these into the binary distribution as WARS. The
default Maven dist target seems fine for core, but it may be hard to
extend to do exactly what we did before.

I believe the cannonical Maven answer would be to have another
distribution for the web applications, or perhaps a distribution for each.

Thoughts? Experiences? Wild ideas?

At this point, I'm neither suggesting nor assuming that we would want to
distribute 1.2.0 via Maven. Though, it's now becoming a possibility. I'm
taking a close look at the site build now.

-Ted.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
We are interested in fixing the Maven build. The tests seem to run under
the conventional build, which would imply that the issue may be in the
Maven setup.

Along with the core, we would also need a strategy for building the
various example web applications. I'm thinking we may need a master
webapps-projects.xml that each application artifact could extend.

-Ted.

Tim Chen wrote:
> I submitted a patch recently for the maven build.
> Sorry I didn't get a chance to (aka.. Just been lazy) attach it to a
> formal bugzilla report as Rob had suggested that I do.
> The maven test currently fail because the resources are not provided
> (look at my past post for reference). Unfortunately, even after
> including the source there are still test failures. I posted a sniplet
> of one of the errors before.
> I never bothered to find out if those test failures were due to the
> maven build or because of incorrectly written tests.
> Either way, I'll try to find some time to fix the maven build if anyone
> is interested.
>
> Tim Chen
> tchen@tampabay.rr.com

Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,
   Struts in Action - <http://husted.com/struts/book.html>,
   JSP Site Design  - <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1861005512>.

RE: Maven test run

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
I've updated project.xml to reference the validator 1.1.1 jar. You need
to manually download it from http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ and place
it in your local repository.

.maven
  plugins
  repository
    commons-validator  <-- you may need to create directories below here
      jars
         commons-validator-1.1.1-dev.jar

maven jar then works (at least for me :-))

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Ted Husted wrote:

> When I run the maven jar target, the upload tests fail
> (MultipartTestSuite).

On a fresh copy of....well....everything (maven 1.0-rc1, jakarta-struts,
etc, etc)  I cannot do anything with maven.

The attempt to download validator SNAPSHOT fails.  When I change
project.xml to use 1.0.1 or 1.0.2, it downloads, but the compile fails
complaining about missing ValidatorUtils.

I downloaded a nightly, moved it to
~/.maven/repository/commons-validator/jars/.

Then changed "SNAPSHOT" to "nightly" in project.xml.

Then this:

[jmitchell@localhost jakarta-struts]$ maven jar
 __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.0-rc1-SNAPSHOT

java:prepare-filesystem:

java:compile:
    [echo] Compiling to m-target/classes
    [javac] Compiling 266 source files to
/home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/m-target/classes
/home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/tiles/actions/DefinitionDispatcherAction.java:78:
warning: org.apache.struts.tiles.DefinitionsUtil in
org.apache.struts.tiles has been deprecated
import org.apache.struts.tiles.DefinitionsUtil;
                               ^

<huge-snip/>

/home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/validator/ValidatorPlugIn.java:264:
warning: org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorResourcesInitializer in
org.apache.commons.validator has been deprecated
                    ValidatorResourcesInitializer.initialize(resources,
bis, false);
                    ^
41 warnings

java:jar-resources:
Copying 15 files to /home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/m-target/classes

test:prepare-filesystem:
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/m-target/test-classes
    [mkdir] Created dir:
/home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/m-target/test-reports

test:test-resources:

test:compile:
    [echo] No test source files to compile.

test:test:
    [echo] No tests to run.

jar:jar:
    [jar] Building jar:
/home/jmitchell/cvs/jakarta-struts/m-target/struts-1.2.0.jar
BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 26 seconds
Finished at: Fri Nov 28 01:40:35 EST 2003

"No tests to run"....Am I missing something here?

> But, when I run the ant test.junit test, only the
> TestActionConfigMatcher test fails.
>
> Is it me, or do others share this experience?
>
> If so, any ideas as to why this would be?
>
> -Ted.

James Mitchell
Software Developer / Struts Evangelist
http://www.struts-atlanta.org

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Me too!

Steve

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 mrdon@twdata.org wrote:

> Good point, thanks for solving the mystery.  I've updated the test to not
> depend on the hashmap order.

Cool. Works for me. :-)

--
Martin Cooper

> Don
>
> > I'm also getting a failure on TestActionConfigMatcher (using Ant build):
> >
> > Name isn't correct
> > junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Name isn't correct
> > at
> > org.apache.struts.config.TestActionConfigMatcher.testCheckSubstitutionsM
> > atch(TestActionConfigMatcher.java:202)
> >
> > cfg.getName() is returning 'name2', but the test expects 'name'
> >
> > fConfigs contains:
> > [0] = name2
> > [1] = name
> >
> > The problem seems to be that the test relies on the order of the array
> > elements but ActionConfig stores the configs in a HashMap which does not
> > return its values collection in a guaranteed order. I would have
> > expected the failure to be intermittent, but it fails consistently for
> > me. Maybe in practice the order is consistent for a platform, JDK, day
> > of the week etc. etc. :-)
> >
> > As an experiment, I changed the HashMap to a TreeMap, and the tests
> > pass. I don't know if this would have any knock on effects elsewhere
> > though. Might be better to rethink the test so it doesn't rely on the
> > ordering. Or even just drop that section since it's really only testing
> > findForwardConfigs(), not the matcher.
> >

> > Steve

RE: Maven test run

Posted by mr...@twdata.org.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.

Re: Maven test run

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Sure, I'll have a go at it this evening. I'm not sure how far different
they are anyway.

Steve

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Great work, Steve. That's looking very good.

I guess the $64,000 question is whether we're up for using Maven for the
1.2.0 release.

It does looks like the pieces are coming together, and I wouldn't be
opposed to moving forward on that basis. I ran the Struts 1.2.0 JAR
against the bundled web applications, and it seems just fine. (What I
did was delete all the JARs from the webapps, and then put them all in
the Tomcat shared directory. This made it *very* easy to swap in another
Struts jar for testing.)

If we did modify the XML documents for the Maven build, and then we
decided to use the original build and site instead, would it be
difficult to modify our old stylesheets to use the new Maven-compatible
xdocs?

Anybody up for using XLST to move our XMLs over to Maven?

-Ted.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Sorry, guys, my ISP decided to take some time off over the holiday as
well... ;-(

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> At the minute, I've just copied the docs over to see how it would work
> out. My opinion is "not bad, but more work required". As far as I'm
> concerned, the Maven build is still experimental and not ready for
> primetime.
>
> It might be an option to build the website from Maven in the (very) near
> future, but I think we'll need to do some restructuring before the
> library build will work with Maven. (Separate out the taglibs, web apps,
> contribs into separate sub-projects).

I've been thinking about this restructuring too (entirely outside the
Mavenisation discussion), and plan on writing up my thoughts on this
"soon". My thinking is primarily in the context of Struts 2.x, but the
principles would largely apply to 1.2.x as well.

> I don't think we should let the Mavenization process hold up the 1.2.0
> release. There's a lot of changes waiting to get out and I think it best
> not to combine those with a change in the build process. Hopefully, we
> can integrate it into the build as we move forward through 1.2.x.

+1, +1, and +/-0, respectively. ;-)

I have to say that I'm losing faith in Maven. When I first dabbled in it,
I thought it was super-cool because of some of the things it can do, like
generating web sites. However, once I got past the "honeymoon" period, I
started to get more and more frustrated. The lack of documentation doesn't
help, but what bugs me most is that it seems to go from really easy, when
you set things up the way it likes, to really arcane, if you don't, very
quickly. And if we have to start writing Ant tasks, well... ;-{

In any case, more power to the folks working on Mavenising Struts, but, as
Steve says, let's not let that get in the way of a 1.2.0 release.

--
Martin Cooper

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
What happens now is that the tlds are defined in XML documents that are
run through an XSLT transform. This allow both the tld files and the
taglib documenation to be produced from the same source.

It confused the hell out of me when I first tried to edit the tld files,
but I think it's a very cool feature.

See
/docs/userGuide/struts-bean.xml
/docs/userGuide/struts-html.xml
etc.

/docs/stylesheets/tld.xsl is used to generate the actual tlds
/docs/stylesheets/struts.xsl generates the documentation

I don't think it should be hard to move this across to Maven (we could
always write an Ant task :-)), it just needs some effort to do it.

Steve

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Tim Chen <tc...@tampabay.rr.com>.
lol Steve,

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
In terms of payback, I think being able to

* automatically download the dependencies
* make use of the standard Maven JAR repository
* run the changelog and other reports,

is enough to justify Maven, especially given our number of dependant JARs.

I'm sure as we gain more experience with the product, we can streamline
our process. If appropriate, perhaps we can even contribute some of
goals as standard options. But that won't happen unless we keep putting
one foot in front of the other :)

Personally, I don't think porting our Ant tasks to Maven is much of an
issue. That's all Maven does anyway. The built-in goals are a great
jumpstart, but I don't believe we should feel constrained to just using
what's in the box.

-Ted.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.
On Dec 1, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> 1. Generate the TLD files (& docs)

I just submitted a Bugzilla issue (#25147) with a partial solution to
this for Maven: it generates the TLD files with XSLT (but doesn't yet
copy them into the final JAR)  I don't have time to finish it up right
now, but I thought this might help others see how easy it is to plug
ant code into maven.xml...  and hopefully I'll scrape up some more time
soon to patch more of the pieces together.

Joe

Test Case Exception Throwing style (Re: Cactus tests)

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.
Going further along the quest to get Tomcat tests running in Maven, I
need to ask a style question:

Most or all of the taglib testcases use a pattern where they call a
private method "runMyTest" with some parameters.  This method calls
pageContext.forward() to pass control to a JSP where the tags are
actually tested.

A problem I had while trying to get the Cactus tests to run is that
this "runMyTest" method caught an exception from pageContext.forward()
and called the "fail" method.  This resulted in the real stack trace
getting printed to STDOUT (amidst output from 100 test cases) and a not
particularly useful message getting placed in the test report.

I would suggest that the proper behavior here is to throw the exception
and let JUnit deal with it as an error rather than a failure.  This
puts the actual error in the test report, which makes it a lot easier
to solve the problem.

I've actually implemented this change locally in the test classes to
help me debug the cactus tests.  Would anyone object to making these
changes permanent?

For what it's worth, I've got it passing 71/97 tests clear, and the
rest fall into two categories: 19 with failures because the
context-path of the test app is hardcoded as "test" and the plugin uses
"struts-cactus", and 7 that have to do with cookie values.  If anyone
has any clever ideas for the simplest way to extract the context path
without using the tags which are being tested, I'm all ears...    the
cookie thing is totally baffling at the moment.

Joe

RE: Cactus tests (Re: Maven test run)

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Joe,
Thanks for the patches. I should be able to take a look at them
tomorrow.
I'd be happy to bounce some ideas around with you as soon as I have any
:-)

Steve

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Tim,

RE: Maven test run

RE: Maven test run

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org> wrote:
> At the minute, I've just copied the docs over to see how it would work
> out. My opinion is "not bad, but more work required". As far as I'm
> concerned, the Maven build is still experimental and not ready for
> primetime.
>
> It might be an option to build the website from Maven in the (very) near
> future, but I think we'll need to do some restructuring before the
> library build will work with Maven. (Separate out the taglibs, web apps,
> contribs into separate sub-projects).
>
> I don't think we should let the Mavenization process hold up the 1.2.0
> release. There's a lot of changes waiting to get out and I think it best
> not to combine those with a change in the build process. Hopefully, we
> can integrate it into the build as we move forward through 1.2.x.
>
> For maintenance purposes, the live documentation is still in docs. Don't
> bother trying to maintain xdocs yet. I hope we'll be able to translate
> the docs in place & maintain the history.

Ok, I was confused by the duplication.  Thanks for clarifying that.

David

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Maven test run

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven test run

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.
Steve Raeburn wrote:

>In the spirit of rolling up sleeves, this is the result of a very quick look
>at Maven:
>http://www.apache.org/~sraeburn/maven/index.html

Super. You could use
xdocs/images/struts-blue.gif
which fits the background color, and feel free to delete the other logo's
under xdoc/images I was just trying different effects out.

-Rob