Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/07/04 11:00:26 UTC

License headers

I noticed that the license headers in the recent Eclipse commit were
incorrect. I guess Anil copied it directly from some other files, which
would make me think that we have some old headers hidden away. I'm still
out of the office so won't have chance to look over them until tomorrow
at the earliest.

David, do we have any scripts to do this?

Anil, can you recall where you copied the license headers from?

Ross

Re: License headers

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>> I didn't check in detail, but I did notice the date range was
>> 1999-2004, for example:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestManager.java?rev=208884&view=markup
>>

>> Ross
>>
> That header was in the file before I began but I will be sure to check
> the licence headers on the patches I send from now on.

In that case this must have been the file missing a header that David
referred to.

It's not a problem that you missed this, it is our responsibility to
check this kind of thing as we commit your patches. Theoretically, once
you have gained a little experience you will do this "automatically".
However, the reality is that we all make lots of mistakes. Hence all
committers are supposed to check all commits.

You'll discover that David is by far our most dilligent in this respect,
but even he makes mistakes now and again.

For reference though, all files committed to the repository must have an
attached license. In the case of source files, config files and the like
we have license headers. For binary files we places a corresponding
license file in the same archive (see the lib directories for examples).

Ross

Re: License headers

Posted by Anil Ramnanan <li...@peppersauce.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I didn't check in detail, but I did notice the date range was
> 1999-2004, for example:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest/src/org/apache/forrest/eclipse/job/ForrestManager.java?rev=208884&view=markup
>

> Ross

That header was in the file before I began but I will be sure to check
the licence headers on the patches I send from now on.

Anil.

Re: License headers

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I didn't check in detail, but I did notice the date range was 1999-2004,

Oh is that all. I haven't been concerned about that at this stage.
Probably new files should be 2005 and others could be tweaked.

There was one file in Anil's patch that was missing the license
header completely. I copied it from another file and probably
forgot to change the date.

-David

Re: License headers

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>I noticed that the license headers in the recent Eclipse commit were
>>incorrect. I guess Anil copied it directly from some other files, which
>>would make me think that we have some old headers hidden away. I'm still
>>out of the office so won't have chance to look over them until tomorrow
>>at the earliest.
>

> Wow and i thought that i checked that so carefully before committing.
>

>>David, do we have any scripts to do this?
>

> I use some tools at:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/relicense/src/perl
> There are other tools too, but it don't know how complete their checks are.

Thanks.

Re: License headers

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.