Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jonathan Fuerth <fu...@sqlpower.ca> on 2002/07/04 23:45:18 UTC

Per-user downloadable logs

We are looking at various user-support scenarios for our Struts-based
webapp.  What we're aiming for is to create a Struts action that will
return a (plain text) log of the current user's actions over a
specified time interval, which they can then attach to an email when
they have product support questions.

We aren't willing to tie the application to a specific servlet
container (such as Tomcat or WebLogic), so anything we do will have to
work with Struts-1.1(b1) and the Servlet-2.2 specification.

So it would seem that using ServletContext.log() is out, since there's
no vendor-independant way of getting at the log from within the webapp
(and I don't see anything in the spec about the format of those log
entries either).

Going to an extremely custom solution (like writing a log4j appender
that inserts into a database table which our "log retrieval" action
could then query) is a possibility, but it has drawbacks: It adds lots
of insert activity to what is now pretty much a query-only
application; it adds another table to our database schema;
database-connectivity related problems can't be logged.

How have other struts users solved the problem of getting at the
application logs without needing to involve the web administrator?
I'd be grateful for any hints or pointers to solutions!

--
Jonathan Fuerth - SQL Power Group Inc.
(416)218-5551 (Toronto); 1-866-SQL-POWR (Toll-Free)