Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Praveen Sripati <pr...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/09 18:34:53 UTC

Error running Hadoop in VirtualBox

Hi,

I have the following configuration - Ubuntu 11.04 as Guest and Host using
VirtualBox and trying to run Hadoop 0.21.0. The host is acting as
namenode/data node/job tracker/task tracker and the guest is acting as a
data node/task tracker.

Every thing works fine in a 'Bridged Adapter' mode, but the problem is that
in this mode I have to be connected to a physical network so that the host
and the guest can talk to each other.

So, I would like to use 'Host-only adapter' so that I can run Hadoop in a
multi-node setup when I am not connected to a physical network. But, I get
the below error in the hadoop-praveensripati-tasktracker-MyMini-Guest.log
file.

Has anyone come across similar problem?

java.net.SocketTimeoutException: 60000 millis timeout while waiting for
channel to be ready for connect. ch :
java.nio.channels.SocketChannel[connection-pending remote=/
192.168.56.1:50010]
        at
org.apache.hadoop.net.SocketIOWithTimeout.connect(SocketIOWithTimeout.java:213)
        at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.connect(NetUtils.java:373)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSInputStream.blockSeekTo(DFSInputStream.java:373)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSInputStream.read(DFSInputStream.java:514)
        at java.io.DataInputStream.read(DataInputStream.java:83)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.IOUtils.copyBytes(IOUtils.java:70)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.IOUtils.copyBytes(IOUtils.java:49)
        at org.apache.hadoop.io.IOUtils.copyBytes(IOUtils.java:101)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:244)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:216)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.copy(FileUtil.java:167)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.copyToLocalFile(FileSystem.java:1543)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.copyToLocalFile(FileSystem.java:1524)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.localizeJobTokenFile(TaskTracker.java:3995)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.localizeJobFiles(TaskTracker.java:1036)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.localizeJob(TaskTracker.java:977)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.startNewTask(TaskTracker.java:2247)

Thanks,
Praveen