Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2006/06/03 04:29:02 UTC

Re: STATUS files in podling release

On 5/30/06, Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:

> >> I had the same question relating to the Tuscany release. In general I
> >> don't think it should as STATUS reflects the state of the project
> >> rather than the code being distributed and technical matters can be
> >> covered in some form of release notes (e.g. README). However, during
> >> incubation, the state of the podling is more likely to be a material
> >> factor for potential users so I would suggest that requiring it to be
> >> included should be part of incubator policy.
> >

> > +1
> >
> > If others agree I'll volunteer to update the incubator site to reflect
> > that.
>
> I assume we are discussing the status HTML file generated from
> each podling's XML template and not the XML itself, or some
> third document. I.e., this file (to use stdcxx as an example):
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stdcxx.html

Actually.. I think the STATUS file that this thread was discussing was
a STATUS file checked into the root of the project's SVN directory.
For example:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/STATUS

I'm not sure but it may be that this format may have fallen out of
favor for the STATUS version that you described.  Part of the problem
is that incubation procedures change with time and someone that was
mentor at one time and comes back to the incubator with a project may
be using old procedures like maintaining STATUS files in the project
root directory.

In other words, even mentors may get a little of date with the latest
and greatest incubation procedures.  I'm not sure it's an easy thing
to solve.

> FWIW, I see very little on these pages that's relevant (or even
> terribly meaningful) to anyone but the incubator so I'm not sure
> what the average user would get out of it.
>
> In addition, isn't there material on these pages that projects
> are normally not permitted to distribute (except without the
> explicit permission of the board: e.g., the feather)? If it
> became a requirement for podlings to distribute such material
> how would it it affect this usual restriction, and what impact
> would it have on third parties wanting to re-distribute these
> releases? I.e., would it become necessary to remove all such
> non-distributable material before re-distributing a tarball?
> How would the third party know where to look?
>
> If it is felt that it is important to distribute the status
> with the release wouldn't it be easier to include a link
> pointing at the status web page from within the podling's
> README?
>
> Martin

Hiram

Re: STATUS files in podling release

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> On 5/30/06, Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> wrote:
>
>> robert burrell donkin wrote:

>> > +1
>> >
>> > If others agree I'll volunteer to update the incubator site to reflect
>> > that.
>>
>> I assume we are discussing the status HTML file generated from
>> each podling's XML template and not the XML itself, or some
>> third document. I.e., this file (to use stdcxx as an example):
>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stdcxx.html
>>

> Actually.. I think the STATUS file that this thread was discussing was
> a STATUS file checked into the root of the project's SVN directory.
> For example:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/STATUS
>
> I'm not sure but it may be that this format may have fallen out of
> favor for the STATUS version that you described.

Yes, I believe that is the case. This STATUS file is not required
to exist anymore and from what I've seen most if not all podlings
have switched to the required HTML/XML document long time ago.

Martin